Post YOUR Hatchback here
By suspendedHatch
#357713 This thread is a couple years overdue, but it's never too late to post photos. This is my 3rd EG hatchback. A couple years after I sold my last one to get a GSR I really started to miss it. I ran a Carfax and found that it had just been recovered from theft and salvaged, so no need to try and track it down. I kept an eye out and eventually one popped up for sale. It just so happened to be exactly like my last one- Same color, year and trim. Overpriced, but fully stock, clean carfax, rust free. I talked the price down to a little less than what I had sold mine for and brought it home.

These are from the original ad. The previous owner had swapped in an R134a system but it doesn't hold pressure. I'll get it working one day.

It had a custom rear seat cover that deflected most of the cigarette burns. I gave it to a roommate who was borrowing her sister's CX.

Then it sat for ten months. When you're looking for a very specific car, you can't hold off until it's convenient. When one pops up, you jump on it. I had to take a personal loan. It was the dead of winter. I had a couple other projects going. I took out the main relay, resistor pack block-off plug, and blocked the car in the driveway. I ordered an alarm on Amazon but didn't turn my attention to the car until mid summer. Since then I've been doing deep maintenance and slowly gathering parts for how I ultimately envision the car.

I had to put watermarks on all my pics because some of them have been ending up on Honda-Tech. When I asked to be given credit I was "docked points" and threatened with being blocked with the site. :headscratch:
By suspendedHatch
#357719 The car at this point was running good reliably and netting 45-48mpg, so I began using it for road trips. I took a bunch of pics around scenic Utah to help me remember since I was planning to move soon.

Outside of Moab

Saint George
By suspendedHatch
teal_dx wrote:I didn't know you had quite the honda collection, and a Tracker/Sidekick :thumb:
Teal hatches :headbang: 8)

You didn't??
I currently have:
92 Civic VX
97 Integra GSR
94 Accord auto
88 CRX Si

In total I've owned:
93 Civic DX auto
92 Integra LS
89 Civic Wagon 2WD
88 Civic Si hatchback
92 Civic VX (3 Stage VTEC)
89? Civic Wagon RT4WD
07 Civic EX auto

I have plans to get an EK and another DA.

The Sidekick was a roommate's car and the HX and CRX DX in the pics were builds for friends. I put a D16Y5 into the CRX and converted it to OBD2. Fully legit. Daily driven by a girl not mechanically inclined, passes smog, gets maintained by a non-tuner mechanic that really digs it. http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=159393
By suspendedHatch
#357721 This is a daily driver build. I don't go in for style points, JDM anything, or racing parts impractical for a street car. This thread is going to be maintenance heavy with a lot of OEM part swaps.

Clock Power/Seat Belt Chime Delete/Headlight Warning Chime
Clock power accessory wire.
Someone had already installed a dash clock but I prefer to have it powered up on the first click of the key. I also disconnect the seat belt key chime so that I can wait peacefully in a parking lot listening to the radio. I converted the seat chime to a headlight warning chime. If you open the door with the headlights and ignition on, you get a beep beep beep from under the dash.

Power Mirrors, Cruise Control, Intermittent Wiper, Tilt Column, Trunk Light
The VX and CX came without intermittent wipers which is supremely annoying. You can swap over a switch and ICU from a DX, LX, or EX. I also grabbed a tilt column and hatch light.

Hatch Handle
After swapping over the hatch handle and bracket I was well on my way of maxing out the USDM options. You may laugh but I find each of these to be extremely useful.

Cabin Filter Swap
If you have AC, you can swap in a condenser box from a CRV or EK. EKs have the space for one but never have the frame that you'll have to order. CRVs have the frame. In either case, you'll have to order the filter because they're not stocked.

Integra Seat Swap
The grey Integra seats match the black Civic interior better than black Integra seats do. Not all DC Integra seats are the same. 98+ sedans and some others have a spacer on one of the rear rails, and some driver seats have big adjustment knobs on the side which makes the seats taller. The rails can't be swapped between the two versions. You can put the latter seats in the Civic with a longer bolt and spacer.

Front Lower Mount Swap
The driver's side front lower engine mount is always shot, allowing the engine to torque hard on shifts or sudden acceleration. I did a how-to on how you can use a heavier duty passenger front lower mount on the driver's side.

Aluminum Drums
Part of the deep maintenance I do includes cleaning and lubing the caliper pins and the backing plate under the brake shoes. When I pulled off the rear drums, I could see that they were cracking apart and in need of replacement. At this point I was looking to squeeze out the best possible fuel economy, so increasing weight and drag by swapping to rear discs wasn't in the cards just yet. '99 Honda Insight aluminum drums will fit if you break the ring off the backing plate that's tacked on there. The drums are 1.5lbs lighter each and the trailing arms are 7lbs lighter for a total of 17lbs total compared to swapping for discs.

If the sight of drum brakes makes you sick, hang in there for a couple posts. It's been over two years since these pics were taken and I've since converted the brakes to SiR.

Fuel Pump Strainer
The filter on the fuel pump is often overlooked. It's something I always do when I get another Honda. It's super easy on our cars vs EFs and DAs where you have to drop the tank.

Valve Adjustment
A valve adjustment of course, also covered in my how-to's. Every car that I've had has needed one and benefitted a great deal.

Throttle Cable Adjustment, Injector Service, Steering Gear Adjustment, Brake and Clutch Fluid Change
Getting the injectors serviced and doing the valve adjustment are two things that most people don't get around to, but they have a profound effect on how the engine runs and performs.
Adjusting the steering gear, tightening the throttle cable and changing the fluids goes a long way to improve the driving controls of the car.

Integra GSR Swaybars, Front Upper and Lower Chassis Braces
I installed a front upper strut tower brace from an Integra GSR and a front lower crossmember brace that you can find on any Integra. I also installed GSR swaybars. The front is 24mm and the rear is 14mm. In the future I'll upgrade the rear to a Progress adjustable 24mm most likely. A stock Type R bar would be more appropriate for my build but I don't like the way it mounts to the subframe. I'm strongly opposed to running a huge chunk of aluminum with a logo etched into it.

ITR Springs, Struts, and Rear LCAs
I got used ITR suspension for $100. This is probably the best handling street suspension you can get. Overly stiff aftermarket springs cause the tires to skip across irregularities in the road. Lower spring rates equal more traction. The ride height is about the same as stock if not 1/4" lower. In the future I plan on lowering the car with front and rear drop forks.

Minor Weight Reductions
I wont strip out interior or anything useful, but there is some dead weight that is a no-brainer. I always remove the metal plate under the key cylinder, the dash knee bolster, and the intake manifold brace. I removed the front and rear bumper supports that are only there to save insurance companies money in parking lot bumps below 5mph. They do nothing for safety in actual accidents. I chose a digital media player stereo that's 1.5lbs lighter than a cd player. I'll cover more about that later.
By FlopUrDonk
#357722 Sending some vx love. This should be awesome. If ur here in Escondido still I'm down to help or whatever. If ur still planning to swap a Gsr in I have a ton of misc. parts.
By suspendedHatch
FlopUrDonk wrote:Sending some vx love. This should be awesome. If ur here in Escondido still I'm down to help or whatever. If ur still planning to swap a Gsr in I have a ton of misc. parts.

I'm in North Carolina learning to rebuild transmissions with my older brother. He's been doing it for twenty years. I'll be back in early Dec though.

I got everything I need for the swap, just got to put the head on. I have to finish an LS project car for my son. I have a B18b head and block rebuilt but they need to be put back together. I'm going to rebuild the GSR trans for him. I have a Type R trans to rebuild for my swap. Then I'm going to put the VX engine into the CRX with the CRX's Si trans combined with the VX first, 4th, 5th and final gears. So yeah, I gotta lot of projects going on if you want to hang out :lol:
By FlopUrDonk
#357725 I work for free. And want to learn as I'm a noob. Yes. definitely give me a shout when your back.
By suspendedHatch
#357726 (In describing my setup and goals I ended writing more of a how-to haha)

Car Audio Setup
My years as a car audio installer strongly influence and inform my taste in sound quality. I've never been a fan of putting very high end products in an environment which is inherently bad for sound quality. I prefer to buy good quality products and get the absolute best performance out of them, with a strong leaning toward saving weight and not putting holes in the chassis and interior plastic.

Rewire Stereo
Whenever I take on a project car that already has an aftermarket stereo, I always pull the stereo and look at the harness. A lot of times it will look like the disaster above. Fifteen minutes to clean it up is probably the biggest investment/benefit time ratio you could spend on a car, short of vacuuming and washing it.

The pics above were actually from a previous project. There was no need to do that on this car since I planned to completely rewire the stereo with aftermarket wire and forgo the stock stereo harness altogether.

With any car that I plan on having for a long period of time, I run new heavy gauge power and ground wires directly to the battery, and then I run new heavy gauge speaker wire into the front doors*. I remove the rear speakers to decrease weight, save cost, free up wattage for the front speakers, and to improve staging.

*Running wires into the doors is a huge PITA. Make the most of it and run actuator and potential future tweeter wiring, or leave the stock stereo wires to reuse for tweeters since they don't require heavy gauge wiring.

The only factory wire left over would be the accessory power wire, which I run straight to the under dash fuse box to avoid needing the stock stereo harness at all.

My current stereo is a Kenwood, but I recommend Pioneer.

Stereo Choice
Most new stereos today put out as much power as the high end stereos of a decade ago, but I still look over the specs when making a decision. For the longest time I was a loyal customer of Alpine stereos, but their quality took a slide while Pioneer took a step forward. Most recently I've given up on CD players altogether. Keeping CDs in a car is a disaster. They're clumsy to handle, they get messed up easily, you have to change them frequently, they skip, they entice thieves, and who the hell still buys CDs anyway??

Manufacturers have started offering digital media players that lack cd drives altogether. I had hoped they would use the freed up space to increase the size of the internal amp, but so far they've chosen to reduce the price instead. They sell digital media players as a low cost alternative, and so the faceplate and trim ring look like those you'd find on the bottom of the line. The overall quality of the Pioneer is good, but I found a problem that could not be resolved through their tech support and is an apparent problem with the OS across their entire 2014 line, so I switched to a Kenwood. The look and usability of the Kenwood is not as good as the Pioneer, but the sound quality is comparable and it recognizes all the music on a 64 gig thumb drive, while the Pioneer does not (only recognizes the first 4 gigs). I'm hoping that Pioneer will correct this issue in their next lineup.

The smaller depth of a digital media player is very welcome on the EG chassis which is notorious for being an extremely tight fit for stereo wiring. The lack of a CD drive saves over a pound and a half. The stereo on the right is one I've had in seven vehicles. It still works great but lacked modern technological advances like USB.

Speaker Choice
Unlike stereo brands, there are a lot of good brand speaker options. Pioneer is the clear choice in stereo brands as of 2015, but I don't recommend their speakers at all. Sound and build quality are lacking, as is the case with Sony. Alpine, Polk, Infinity, and Kenwood are all great options. Listen to them on the displays or preferably in a friend's car, compare the specs, prices, and make your choice.

My personal favorite are Kicker components. They are a cut above the brands I mentioned, but they have models at a price point between the average brands and the really high end brands like Focal etc. My car already has Infinity Kappas in it, which are great sounding speakers, so replacing them with Kicker components is not a priority. I'd rather spend that money on sound deadening which is a topic I hope to cover later.

4 Channel Amplifier Or Not
When choosing speakers, you need to decide whether you plan on amplifying them or not. If you have money, don't race, and plan on adding a subwoofer, you're going to want to amplify your front speakers. If you take my advice and only run front speakers, you can combine two amps in one and choose just a single four channel amp. The amp needs to have high and low pass filters. Your stereo should have a subwoofer RCA output so you can have some controls through your stereo.

Use the high pass filter on the front, somewhere around the 100 range. The lower the number, the more bass your front speakers will play, which is bad. That draws power away from their ability to play mids and highs, which is what they're best at. Use the low pass filter on your sub, again around the 100 range to prevent it from trying to play highs and too much midrange. Amp tuning is best left to someone with experience but it's good to know where to expect the knobs to be.

Basic is Best
The best bang for your buck, lightweight system wont have a subwoofer or amps. You'll never have real bass, but you can have good sound quality for driving to work and back each day. You wont have a lot of equipment to lose in theft or in an accident. Choose a stereo with a high rms output (ignore outrageous watt claims) and speakers with a high sensitivity rating. Every dB counts. Choose speakers that most closely match their max rms power handling with the stereo's rms output. If you're amplifying the system, sensitivity is much less important. Don't match speakers with very high power handling to a stock stereo. Lower will sound much better. Nothing worse than underpowered speakers, and cranking them up will blow them more easily than you can blow overpowered speakers.

Component Speakers
The differences between regular speakers and component speakers are that the tweeter is separated from the mid range mounted separately and passive crossovers are provided to optimally divide the frequencies between them. They'll give you better sound quality but are more expensive and more difficult to install. If you go this route, I suggest swapping EX coupe or Si door panels into your hatch and mounting the component tweeters over the stock tweeter locations. Also, if you're at this level, at the very least you should sound deaden your doors because it will make as big a difference in sound as going from cheap speakers to good ones. Speaker cones need to vibrate to produce sound but they lose that ability if the surface they're mounted on vibrates in opposition.

My Plans
I plan on someday sound deadening the whole car with a kit from http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/, putting the Kappas in my CRX and getting Kicker components for the EG. I'll have custom fiberglass boxes made for some small kicker subs in each of the OEM rear speaker locations, and finding somewhere to hide a four channel amp. In the meantime I'm enjoying my budget setup and occasionally getting compliments on the sound quality.
By suspendedHatch
#357727 (Again in the spirit of how-tos. I guess I'll post all the minor tips I have that don't warrant a full thread on their own.)

D15Z1 170F Thermostat
The Civic VX uses a unique temperature thermostat to all other models of Civic. Honda didn't use it again until the 2005 Civic Hybrid. It's 170F vs the normal 180. Parts stores don't recognize this and will often incorrectly supply you a 180 degree thermostat which affects your car's ability to achieve its full fuel economy potential. If you have a VX, you should check and try to see if you can tell if it has the correct thermostat. They're cheap enough that you might decide to simply replace it. You may have to special order it because it's not common. Try to find out if it comes with a new gasket or you have to buy one separately.

Don't try changing the thermostat temp like you might on a domestic. Honda designed these engines to run right around 212F (oil and coolant) to vaporize the fuel and get the most energy out of it. You wont find any gains here and this is not the way to try and solve a cooling problem. Flush the system, check your cooling fan switch (the sensor on the thermostat housing), fan, and fan relay. Mix the coolant properly. Check the weep holes on the water pump.

In my case, my car was taking forever to warm up and never warming up in the winter. I took the old one and boiled it in water, took it out, and discovered that it never closed all the way.

Comparing the 170 and 180 thermostats.

The ground on the thermostat housing is critical. This is a good time to check it out and see if the ring terminal or wires are corroded. Don't be tempted to try to upgrade this ground by adding a wire. This is the ECU's sensor reference ground so it can calibrate all the sensor readings.

Coolant Flush
When you change a thermostat, you should flush the coolant system in three places: 1) through the top of the radiator, 2) into the thermostat housing and out the water neck that feeds the upper radiator hose, 3) both directions through the heater core. This last one is especially critical as a normal flush wont get the gunk out of the heater core like going directly to these lines will. Make sure the heat selector is on full heat.

These lines are delicate and often crushed. Probably from squeezing with pliers to pull the heater hoses off or from getting pinched during engine removal. Put a socket inside and tap it gently to pound them back out.
By suspendedHatch
HeikDiesel wrote:Always look forward to information and posts from you Suspended. :thumb:

Thanks! I have some more stuff to post up right now and hopefully I'll start getting the new stuff I'm working on up right away instead of having it sit on my desktop for two+ years.
By TrailerTrash
#357748 keep this coming man!
By suspendedHatch
#357749 Inner Tie Rod Replacement
The symptoms I was having were that on the freeway I would hit a seam in the road and the car would veer to the side. Over bumps I would hear a sharp pop. I knew since I bought the car that the tie rod boots were ripped and that they were pretty dry. I planned to lower the car and swap the brakes- both of those things require an alignment, so I wanted to get it all done at once. I finally tackled this when I was doing my SiR brake swap.

The way to check for a suspension problem is to jack the wheels off the ground, grasp each at 12 and 6, and give a jerk. There should be no play. If there is, see if the movement is in the upper or lower ball joints. Check the bushings in the control arms. Try to narrow it down. Grasp the wheel at 9 and 3 and do the same. You have to differentiate play with pulling the steering wheel. In my case, I could tell that it was coming from the passenger side steering but I couldn't tell if it was the rack, inner or outer. Disconnect the tie rod end from the knuckle and jerk on it to test the inner ball joint. There can be absolutely no play. This is where my problem was. My outers were still good so I reused them.

Chase the threads on all the ball joints so that the castle nut can spin on without turning the whole thing.

Use some cutters to cut the bands, then a razor blade to cut the old boot off.

There's a white plastic bushing just inside the rack on the passenger side that's sometimes the cause of play in the steering.

It takes a 32mm (1 1/4) wrench to remove/install the inner tie rods.

Match the length of the adjustment nut on the old tie rod to the new one as close as you can so that you can drive the car to the alignment shop and still have the steering wheel close enough to the center.

Put some grease on the new tie rod and slip the boot on, then put bands or zip ties at each end.