Post YOUR Hatchback here
By phoc
teal_dx wrote:I'm submitting your hatch for Ride of the Month :thumb:

WooWoo! Thank you :)
By phoc
#359536 Oh man.. It's been so long since I posted something here...

Well, a lot of things happened to this car. I'll try to summarize a little.

I put the Hondata S300 v3 in it. Had a few issues after. And I realized that the work done by the last mechanic was really terrible.

My engine ended up breaking. 2 valve locks (I'm not sure if that's correct in English) broke and the valves just kept bumping inside the chamber.
Here's the damage:

It have been parked at my building's parking lot since January.

In June I decided to sell it. I didn't have time to work on it, I didn't trust anyone to do it for me as well, so.. The only thing I could do was sell it.
I decided to sell it for a very low price, with the hondata and everything in it. I had someone come in to visit the car on the same night and he decided to buy it.

2 weeks later this guy, who bought my car, contacted me saying that he wanted to return the car based on that the car was not good, that the car had been crashed and kept saying nonsense.

I guaranteed that the car had never been crashed or even touch by another car while it was with me, but I couldn't speak for the other 21 years that the car had other owners. I told him that I could bring a mechanical engineer to validate the state of the car, but I told him that I had done several trips with the car as it was, with my family, and never had any issues.

Unfortunately the guy threatened me and in order to protect my family and I I took back the car and gave him his money back.

The very next day the car was broken into while I was at work in the morning (9AM).
The police caught the motherf.. on the act and took him arrested.

But.. Believe it or not.. The police let him go, and by midnight, when I was still at work, the same guy came back and broke into the car again.
Yes, twice in one day.

No harm, he didn't take anything except a white bag, according to the security in my building, who saw him leaving the car with that package at night.
Theory: The guy who bought my car used it as a drug transportation mule.

No harm. Had to file another police report and fully clean the car this time.

With ALL that I had to move.. I started feeling that I was being watched and that feeling was taking a very huge unnecessary proportion.

When I moved, I finally moved to a place with a garage and space to work on the car! "There are evils that come for good".

So, Almost half a year later, I'm going to make this car good again, by my self! :jawdrop:

Bought everything I needed and will start to work on it tomorrow. I'll try to post some pictures along the way.

I thought about asking for help from my friends, but seems like everyone's got an opinion here, and they really don't care much about helping but criticizing. So.. :fucker: :fucker: :fucker:

:woot:
By phoc
#359543 Alright.

First day of work. A few things done.
This is going to be an unusual build process so less hate and more support is appreciated :).

I have analyzed the damage that those valves did to other components in the engine, and other than the piston, no real harm was encountered.

The connecting rods were already forged, so they didn't even have scratches on them.

I decided to replace all 4 pistons due to the damage and all connecting rods bearings just because of so many people saying that every time you open the engine those bearings need to be replaced.

Other than that, new gaskets.

The work will be done with the engine in the bay. What inspired me to do so was a video on youtube called "How to turbo your honda over the weekend". That guy had some guts and I had to try it.

Cleaned the old silicon that the mechanic used to seal with the head gasket using a razor blade and used 220 + 320 grit sandpaper + engine oil to hone the cylinders.

Main rods tighten to spec torque

You must love how detailed this manual is..

Pistons ready to go in the engine.

Now, as for setbacks, I do not have a piston ring compressor, so I'm studying ways to place them in there without hurting the cylinder walls.. Ideas?

:?
By phoc
#359545 Last day of the weekend.. It was productive, but not as I hoped it would be.

Today I was only able to put in the pistons and nothing else :(.

Unfortunately I don't have the loctite silicon to use on the pan and head gaskets so I preferred to wait until Monday so stores would be open and I can buy this thing and proceed with the engine closure.

I was able to put in the pistons using 3 tools - 2 of them were those plastic clip removers, which had a kind of sharp edge and worked out very well, the other one was a soft handle mallet to push in the pistons.

It took me a few hours to have the 4 pistons in, but I did it very calmly and they all went in smoothly.

A little video spinning the crankshaft. No bindings, so smooth! (Don't mind the moaning noises haha it's just so pleasureful to see it working..)

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v431/Relliker/IMG_4078.mp4
By phoc
#359567 I feel like I'm writing on a diary here.. Anyways...

Last post I had put in the pistons and rods and the crankshaft was spinning smoothly. :woot:

Last couple of days I worked on the top of the engine, and I must say, what a pain haha

Unfortunately the lack of knowledge made me put in the head before the intake manifold.... [smilie=BangHead.gif]
I didn't know if the head gasket could be tightened more than once, so I had to work a ton to put that manifold there. No torque was applied to those nuts as I couldn't reach them with the torque wrench [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif]

All good.. Intake mounted below after a LOT of effort

I then positioned the camshafts and tightened everything up with torque provided on the manual.

Another hard "to do" was aligning the pulley at TDC. Since I didn't remove the block the pulley was still in place.
I found a couple of "how to's" on the internet but none of them showed how to find the TDC position with the pulley already on.

I had a little help from my buddy mechanic who told me that there were supposed to be white marks on the pulley in order to show where the TDC position was, but he didn't tell me where to look for them. After a long ass time trying to find them I found a position to illuminate the edge of the pulley and found 4 small dots engraved into the pulley. :woot: From what I read on the internet from other engines there should be 3 dots or marks close to each other and that was for ignition timing, and another one a little further and THAT was TDC.

After that I had to align the TDC pulley mark with the TDC mark on the block of the engine, but between them there was a plastic cover which was making it very hard for me to align them. After a little microscopic work I think I finally did it and.......

FUCK... WAIT.. How am I going to release the tensioner bolt with the cover and engine mount still there??????

[smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] :x :x :x :x

Yes, I was very pissed.

Took a break and returned after a while with the idea of simply sliding the timing belt onto the camshaft pulley with the help of engine oil.
45 minutes later and it was in position! :lol: Although I'm not sure if I moved the crank pulley a little while trying to slide the timing belt...

Placed the water hoses, attached all wire connections that needed to be attached.

put back on the alternator belt and also the power steering pump in place, tightened the belts and bolts.

Put the battery and air filter back on as well.

All that is left now is to adjust the valves, wait for the head cover gaskets to arrive and mount it all on the engine.

I've also removed the paint from the head cover and will probably paint it wrinkle red.. Still thinking about it.