Post YOUR Hatchback here
By PhoenixJP
#353631 I have a lot planned for this hatch!

I slapped my Work wheels on to get a sneak peak. Looks bad because the front is all jacked up because it has no engine in it currently, and I drove with the wheels on during winter and the salt oxidized my lips! Yeah, won’t be doing that again....

Dropped my wheels off to get redone at this place call The Wheel Doctor, located in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am getting the outer lip polished and the centers powder coated white all at very good prices! I can’t want to get them back!
Some Plasti Dip left on the back…

This is going to be pretty close to what they are going to look like when they are done. This was when I first got them and I Plasti dipped them… Bad idea. If you look at the back of the wheel you can see all kinds of it left on.

I forgot to take a picture of the interior before I started ripping it all out, but this is probably only an hour of taking stuff out. I took the seats and the dash off, and that’s about it.

This is what I started doing today. I pulled out the rear interior, carpet, and removed the back seatbelts because I’m going eventually to be making my own rear seat delete out of some wood and new carpet

I then pulled the blower box, and current trying to figure out the hell the heater box comes out. I removed the SRS harness since I’m going to be putting my ECU, or fuse box under where the air bag was. I’m going to pull the harness and tuck and shave my engine bay, which is why I pulled the dash.

Got sick of sitting/kneeling on the metal floor. Hehe.

Today I also mess around with some spray paint! I’m planning on doing a little body work and then paint my car cheaply. With spray paint possibly.
This is an old EK bumper I had laying around and I didn't care if I painted on it.
Went and bought a Ridge random orbital sander, primer, the paint I liked (wheel paint hence the test.), and some clear coat.
Sanded some really rough spots with 80 grit, and then I sanded it all with 250.
Primer.
I sanded the primer down with 1000 grit, because I guess I didn’t sand enough down at the beginning and I you could see dings in the surface still.
1st Coat.
2nd.
3rd
4th with some clear on it.
This is it dry to the touch, dried for like 2 hours while I was messing with my interior. I love the color and the flake in it, but I think there is a major problem with my spraying technique or paint. I have dark and light streaks. I even tried sanding the part I didn't clear and see if I could even out the color but it didn't really work. I could use help on this one guys, any ideas? I’m thinking it’s because the paint has flake to it that it’s going to be hard to get an even color on a body panel.
Last edited by PhoenixJP on Fri May 08, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By egsedanguy
#353632 with spray cans, it will depend on the spray pattern. a round pattern will cause stripes. you need a tip with a fan style pattern. something with a 4-6in spray. this will help a lot to get it even and help eliminate stripes.
By PhoenixJP
egsedanguy wrote:with spray cans, it will depend on the spray pattern. a round pattern will cause stripes. you need a tip with a fan style pattern. something with a 4-6in spray. this will help a lot to get it even and help eliminate stripes.

Hmm, I wonder if I could put a different tip on it and change the spray pattern?
By egsedanguy
PhoenixJP wrote:
egsedanguy wrote:with spray cans, it will depend on the spray pattern. a round pattern will cause stripes. you need a tip with a fan style pattern. something with a 4-6in spray. this will help a lot to get it even and help eliminate stripes.

Hmm, I wonder if I could put a different tip on it and change the spray pattern?

you can. should be able to find them at a paint supply store. they usually have tips of different widths of spray. some are adjustable.
By teal_dx
#353640 :thumb: :thumb: for refinishing my old wheels :D They're gonna look great on there.

I know Duplicolor has the fan spray on most of their paints. If you look at the nozzle, it will usually be blue if it is fanspray.

Actually, I just found a pic: http://www.vac-u-boat.com/images/PaintT ... Nozzle.jpg
By PhoenixJP
#353700 Ok so I got some more done! I should probably pick a single project and finish one, but I rather have 6 going on at the same time so I get really confused and screw things up…
Anyways… I started working on my wiring a bit more I took off everything on the firewall and pulled the harness out. I don’t have any pictures of the engine bay or the firewall but I’ll get them tomorrow.
I pulled the harness out and ripped off all the shielding and labeled every plug. One thing I realized is that I won’t really be able to make this harness without having the engine in the car so that I know what length everything will be, since I’m making everything come out the heater core hole. I was going to keep heat but I decided that it wasn’t worth the trouble.

This is the dash and driver side shock tower harness in a box. I haven’t gotten around to doing the same thing I did with the passenger side.
I started my rear seat delete!
So, I started by making a cardboard outline of the rear so I could cut the plywood.
I bought these brackets at Homecheapo, and bent them in a vice to suit my needs.
Here is one of those brackets and an anchor that I used. I didn’t want to drill any holes or use self-tappers so these did wonderfully with the already predrilled holes in the body.
The Basic frame.
This is where the fun began. The one thing that I didn’t think about, was how high the plywood was going to sit, so I actually had to modify the cardboard outline once I got the 2x4 frame in. I used my cardboard and drew an outline one my plywood and cut it out with a jigsaw. The 2x4 laying in front of it, I cut a chunk out so that you could get to one of the fuel pumps screws, and the small 2x4 laying on top of the wood is one of the supports I made that go down under where the spare tire use to be. I had to curve the bottom so it fit better. I’ll take a picture of it tomorrow, when I’m working on it.
This is the back piece in and also you can see I added that middle 2x4 to the frame. I also used a bigger anchor screw right next to the middle 2x4.
There are a few spots were its tight to the plastic, so I’m going to have to do a little more trimming tomorrow.
Done for today, I’ll probably post some more tomorrow or maybe the next day.
By Driv-it-hard
#353710 I really like the work and time your putting into your car.
The car looks great. Cant wait to see the end product.
By PhoenixJP
#353738 Some more pictures, I probably will take a break from this through the weekend, and start on it again on Monday.
This is the finished cut out, you can see those blue arrows where I was telling myself where to trim the sides at an angle. I didn't take a picture of what I did but I cut the board at a 45 degree angle to give me a bit more of a gap for the carpet to down under.
This is the front pieces I cut out, these where a bit tricky to get right. I actually ending cutting one half of it then redoing it because one cut wasn't strait and then just mirrored it for the other side.
This is that picture I promised about the other anchor screw I used. This one is also a bit tricky. It’s located right in the middle of the car, on that hump between where the spare sits and where the seats use to sit. This hole is about ¼ of an inch, so I had to use a bigger anchor, but the problem is that there’s only about 2 inches of clearance under the hole before it bottoms out, so the screws that came with it are like 3-4 inches so they wouldn't go down all the way. So I rummaged around and found some fat short screws I could put in there. Honestly I don’t even know if I will run these middle ones. The only way to get it to work is id I made a special metal L bracket, the ones I have now don't really work. From the picture it looks fine but in real life it doesn't really fit right. I don't know if I will run them because I have 2 bolts holding the back in and 2 of those anchor screws holding the front. I'll take a picture of those bolts later.
This picture shows how I put shims on the bottom to level out the wood piece so that the board on top sat flush. I added these small 2x4 to add a bit more stability to the corner. I was going to use these shims but messing around with it gave me an idea just to make the whole front piece as a door. The whole piece raise up about to 85 degrees before the wood hits the glass windows. I think this would be way better than a small 13x19inch opening right in the middle only giving you access to the fuel pump and that's about it. By making the whole thing a door I could use those side areas to.
By PhoenixJP
#354134 Long time since I updated on the rear interior delete. It has taken me a long time, I stopped keeping track of the hours…. But it was completely worth the time spent!
This whole front thing had to be assembled and carpeted as once piece so that I didn’t have and screws showing. You can also see I cut holes for some kicker speakers.

What do you guys think?