Post YOUR Hatchback here
By JDMLYFE
#346710 What's up guys, so I'm still having trouble finding the right size socket to take the arp head studs off lol and I'm also having a hard time taking the old intake manifold gasket off! Any ideas?! I want to get the head gasket done, im also going to order a gates timing belt,water pump and tensioner kit next week.. But I live in a building and the motor is on a tire lol the clutch is on and I can't get the pulley off. Please help!

I also re did the valve cover and grabbed some washers and spike bolts. I highly recommend the wrinkle paint!

By JDMLYFE
#346714 Anyone ?
By MG6
#346724 did you try aircraft cleaner to remove the paper gasket on your intake side?

strong stuff and should be able to get them at your local auto store under the paint section.
By JDMLYFE
#346739 Iv actually looked everywhere for that aircraft paint remover/cleaner but it's almost like they don't sell it here in Canada lol someone said carb cleaner and a razor blade should work so I'm gonna try that today
By m578elb
#346743 That paper gasket was a bitch to remove, A square block of wood and 60 grid sand paper, just hold the block straight and flat it out. About the studs, usual is 14mm standard, can you make a picture of that, it could be 14mm 12corners or 1/2 12corners,13mm 12corn...
By JDMLYFE
#346744 I can't really take a pic as the studs are in the head and I only have an iphone to take pics with lol the 1/2 12 point socket fit but I broke the extension peice because it's so small
By m578elb
#346759 Buy a deeper socket, 3/4 inch
By silverEG8
#346766 Nice updates dude! :woot:
By JDMLYFE
#346768 Almost got all the old gasket off, brake cleaner and a razor blade works best but still a pita! Hopefully I'll be able to find the right socket today to take the head off, question! I'm getting the motor installed by a shop once I'm done rebuilding it, I'm using new arp studs and bolts and I heard you have to re torque them a few times. Will me putting the motor back together but just not tightening the head bolts be a waste of time? Wouldn't they have to take everything off again?
By teal_dx
#346772 So you're putting the head on with oem head bolts and then taking the car and motor to a shop to install and the shop is taking the head off and putting it back on with ARP head studs?

If the motor isn't going to be fired or see compression, then just put the head bolts on hand tight since they'll be taken back out and replaced with ARP headstuds. Or better yet, just leave the head off and put plasitc on the block and head to keep them clean and leave the headgasket in the package. :thumb:

And you're right, follow the specific re-torquing instructions on the ARP headstuds.
By JDMLYFE
#346775 No it has arp head studs now, I didn't know it until I went to take them off.
But I'm going to grab new ones and put them in. I'd rather change headgasket myself as shops overcharge! But if they need to re torque the studs I'm wondering if I should put the cams, cam caps etc back together. Id love if I could do the swap myself since my car is a shell. But I live in a building so limited to one parking spot. And would have to do the swap in one day cuz u wouldn't be able to leave parts and stuff out overnight
By Virux
#346887 Well, if you know how to assemble an engine then do it all yourself. To do the swap, they don't need to take your engine apart. They're just going to prep the bay, put the new engine in, and wire everything up. As long as the engine will run and everything(harness, etc) is in good condition, they won't have any problems on your end.

I use those cute sockets for little things like seat bolts and such. Anything that's torqued down you need beefier sockets. Use a breaker bar to very slowly torque the bolts out. Maybe soak them in anti-seize, although it probably won't help much. You might want to do some Google research on how to properly untorque bolts, if you don't do it straight you'll destroy the threads or even break the bolt itself.

http://www.dansmc.com/socketdrives.jpg

Don't just get a 3/4th socket and end up using a baby ratchet with an adapter either, because then your ratchet will break. haha
By JDMLYFE
#346895 Thanks for your help guys! Finally got the head off,
Just waiting to get some arp studs and bolts, was bored so decided to sticker bomb my spark plug cover:D

Also since I'm grabbing a gates timing belt and water pump I was thinking of getting blue cams? Does anyone know if the eBay ones are good enough? I do want to boost this next year