Post YOUR Hatchback here
By Leppy
Driv-it-hard wrote:I like the progress on the Digital dash. You have to let me know how you doing this . Can you post a vid or email a vid of the working dash?
Look great.

I plan to, after I get it rebuilt and working.
By teal_dx
Leppy wrote:
teal_dx wrote:How's that digital dashboard work? Is that a kit you bought or all custom?

The wear on the wheel and the CB radio... not sure why but I like that interior setup- reminds me of driving an old vehicle.

It's all custom hardware. Right now it's an Arduino being fed raw analog signals through voltage dividers hard-tapped into the wires behind the cluster. It's coded in C and the video output is one wire through a custom soldered RCA connector. But it's just a prototype. Iteration two is in the works, planning to be a Beaglebone Black 1Ghz linux board programmed in Ada (why Ada? Because I can, and what's a military inspired build without military grade code) and hopefully outputted to a mini-HDMI screen if I can find one. Planning to replace the cluster entirely with the screen after I get it up and running because I can code the tachometer, fuel gauge, temperature, and speedometer easily. I can use an EEPROM and a capacitor to keep track of the odometer, and everything else is just a on/off light.

You're really smart at this stuff, cause I don't know what Beaglebone Black 1Ghz linux board programmed in Ada even is :thumb:
I take it you program or work in IT for a living? This build is a first - nothing lke this has been attempted on this site before :woot:
By Leppy
#358223 Yeah. Computer Science degree in coding and IT, and work as a virtual machine admin. This is a project I'm working on in my spare time.
By Leppy
#359360 Quite a bit has happened to her since my last post, including a change of address with a garage I can park her in! I'll be doing some more work this weekend, then I'll do a proper update with some pictures. She went from salvaged hatchback with questionable suspension to a makeshift bug-out vehicle that I can thrash around.
By Leppy
#359369 Update as promised. Still got another set of LED fogs to mount on the roof rack, but that will wait until I find an optimal way to mount them. Soon will come 'stuff' to fill the rack and some black wheels and wider beefy tires to match the look.

By TrailerTrash
#359370 looking good :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

put one of these in the roof basket

and one of these

and a spare tire lol
By Leppy
#359371 That's exactly what I had planned! Gonna search for a lower profile 5l jerry can and an ammo box and mount them towards the back of the rack on each side.