Post YOUR Hatchback here
By Radix
#328327 Introduction to myself:

This is my first take at a non American car. Previously I have owned a '99 Chevy 1500 and a 1984 Firebird, so the swap from a small block chevy to a small 4 cyl D series is quite a change. I am 17, and still in Highschool, so this is budgeted, but also going to be done correctly.

As I purchased the car, it had 110,xxx miles. It has a no name cat-back exhaust, and an aftermarket H/U and speakers. The carpet looks like it's from home depot but despite this the car has little rust and runs well.

It is an automatic, and I prefer it. Don't ask my why I find a clutch to be annoying, just do. My entire family does.

I am slowly building this car to my liking over time, while combating finances and other projects I will be taking on. (Saltwater reef aquariums)

Some pics of the car:

What I've done so far:

Plasti-dipped roof
Re-wired Head unit
Plasti-dipped Emblems
(Somewhat) fixed the exhaust hanging down

FUTURE PLANS:

Sound:

Clarion CZ702 Head Unit
Clarion EQS746 7 Band Equalizer
Two Polk Audio MM1240DVC 12" Subwoofers
I will be keeping the two kenwood speakers currently installed and add two 6x9 JBL speakers and two 4x6 JBL speakers that I have from my old parts car.

Exterior:

Momo Revenge 15" Wheels (Ordered already, on their way)
Raceland Coilovers (I'm 17, in High-school, I can't afford $800+ coilovers)
Extended lug nuts (Rainbow Style)
Black w/smoked lens foglights
New Back bumper trim (two different ones on there now, wtf)
Roof Rack w/fairing
HID Headlights
Hood Bra
OEM Style Carbon Fiber Hood (I was considering Invader Style but it may be too much)
Back wiper removal kit (on the way)

Interior:

Convert Everything to black
possibly make headliner teal plaid
Bucket Seats
Replace carpet with Truck Bedliner. ( will this also double as sound deadner?)
Stock Clock installed.

Performance:

PIC Lower Control Arms
Used DC Sports Headers
Megan Racing M-Spec II Muffler
NGK Spark Plugs and Wires
Larger Front and Rear Sway Bars
Poly Bushings
Stainless Steel Brake Lines

I am planning on building a new motor over time. But there are restrictions. Coming from a v8 engine to this, it is not fast at all. With a passenger it takes forever to get to 60 mph. I am trying to build a dently powerful engine 175 HP or more, N/A, but still maintain 30+MPG on regular 87 octane gas and keep my automatic. Any recommendations on what engine to start researching?
By Fada Blayne
#328335 Nice progress so far and Im wihing you the best of luck with ur project! :thumb:

As for an engine you could always swap an automatic B series into it :hehe:
Your options would be:
Automatic B18a/b
" " B16a
" " B18c(gsr)

Just do ur research and you'll find all the posibilities. I know of a guy locally with an Automatic Gsr coupe with bolt ons and it moves for what it is :) . Good luck and keep us updated.
By Radix
#328360 as for the muffler and carbon fiber hood choice, I am planning on putting them both on to offset each other. The Hood will be offset by the carbon fiber muffler and (hopefully) look very good. Same with the extended lugs and the muffler tip. They'll both contrast nicely to each other.

In other news, I came home today to one of the stickers I ordered and my tax return! Woohoo!

Sorry for the crude image, I just took it with my phone quickly on my way to the bank.

And the company I bought my TEAL (took forever to find one!) auxiliary cable from, responded to my email with some pictures I took for them.

(some examples)

And before I finish this post, some eye candy, my old car.

If you want to see more of my stuff, check out my website at UnderTheTreeMedia.com

If im not allowed to link my site just let me know and I'll take it down.

Old Saltwater tank pic (see more on my site):
By Trix
#328375 shit living in new york i wouldnt want a stick either but damn STICK SHIFT FTW!!! haha only way to go in a civic :woot: but thats just me its more fun
By stubrun
#328386 super clean little eg, not a bad little car history for a 17 year old!
By Radix
Trix wrote:shit living in new york i wouldnt want a stick either but damn STICK SHIFT FTW!!! haha only way to go in a civic :woot: but thats just me its more fun

I do a lot of work where I drive down the road and stop at each individual house, and we've done it with a manual many times and it is the most time consuming thing in the world.
By Radix
#328441 The following I am considering for an eventual swap:

F22B1
B16A
D16Y8
B16A1
B18B1
B18A1

I'm leaning towards the F series. Decent mpg, and most likely a bit more if I use lightweight parts. It also has a good amount of torque which is what I prefer over hp.

But I still need to look into how to auto trans will hook up in a EG.

Any notes on any of these engine swaps? OR does anyone have a specific thread for one of these they found specifically helpful?

I also read that a DOHC will get better MPG... But reading mixed reviews on the low octane gas. Is it safe to run lower octane on a DOHC if I'm not racing it?
By Radix
#329074 My wheels came in! I had thought I wasn't going to like them, but after a test fit, I think they look awesome! Took forever to find some in the size and lug I wanted!

Plans have also changed for sound. I am planning on only one 12" polk woofer in the spare tire spot. I'm also going to be using sound deadener as the back of my car is very loud. I realized I don't need two subwoofers, as I'm going for quality over loudness and quantity. It will also sit more flush and need less wattage compared to two.

Other news,
I re-did my headliner. I like it, and so does everyone else I talk to. They love it. It's not perfect, but it's not noticeably bad either. Especially for my first time. I will be switching the interior to all black, and leather eventually, and if it does not sit right, I will change it. For now, I love it.

By Radix
#329075 I also can not fix the exhaust hanging down. The way the kit was made does not allow it to be pulled up at all. I'm going to have to have it bent, or trade for OEM
By rustyrex
#329081 Flip the middle section over. I had the same problem with my exhaust. Once I flipped it over it is nice and high now. Doesn't hit my shifter or vibrate on anything either.
By 94EG8
Radix wrote:But I still need to look into how to auto trans will hook up in a EG.

H/F auto trans does not fit. B-series trans sorta fits. B16A is a torqueless wonder, even more so with the automatic. If I had to pick one LS swap, that said an automatic anything in that chassis is a pain in the ass and wont work nearly as well as you think it will. The only thing semi-worthwhile is a Z6 swap since it will drop in with stock mounts, anything else is going to be custom.
By Radix
#329353 I am not worried about the engine swap right now. it is the literal last thing I will be doing and I understand that i will be forced to make a manual swap so it may never happen.

I ordered my tires today so I am completely excited that they are coming!! hooorayyyy
I also found a yakima rack for a good price so that will also be coming in soon

My next major puchase will be progress coilovers. that will require a bit of saving on my end.

other plans happening in near future:
neo chrome extended lugs
mudguards
foglights
ss brake lines

alright so I do have a question. If I plan to add a rear sway bar and upgrade the front what will I need and what are some good sizes? Im planning on PIC rear LCA. will I be limited as to RSB choice?