Post YOUR Hatchback here
By TSimon
#324814 A new toy has found it's way into my possession,

1992 EG Civic hatch.

1.6L Dual carby SOHC ZC engine!!. 5sp manual.

Brief history

Car was being traded in around 7 years ago on a new Jazz, A good friend of mine offered the owner to take it off his hands.
Transaction was made, then the car sat in storage for another few years due to mate scoring a genuine EF9 SiR (factory B16A) as a daily instead of going down this path.

Original 133xxx kms. DAMN low for a 92 civic.

My mutt and the EF9

The plan

Daily with weekend track time.

we went out a put some fuel and a battery into it, and bang. Up and running.
Zero smoke, all the electrics work etc. What luck!

At the moment, it's unlicensed but I'm adamant that only cosmetic work is needed to pass inspection (bonnet latch/paint, new tires)

So far for my objectives after registration I'm thinking:

Locate B series motor + box (re-build during the following steps)
Handling package (stock everything else)
Exterior (stock motor)
B swap (16 or 18)

At the house we had to move it from.

Here is my old EG right before i sold it a long time ago.
B16A +ITR trans + Toda bits

We got the car going and i purchased a moving permit to drive it ~20km to my workshop. Where it currently is sitting.
It did get a little warm, like 3/4 temp so today I've pulled the cooling system out for an overhaul.

In my shop

Bonnet latch all sorted out, Bumper removed for the hell of it

The 94 Maserati Ghibli. 2,0 V6 Biturbo hidden under the cover in the corner of the pic.

Door trims all in, Rear interior all back in properly.

Would look good but not possible

Some motivation

Today's work

i rebuilt the bonnet latch as it was tight and didn't like working much.

Then spent the early afternoon down at the shop getting the alignment of the front end all squared up and sitting pretty. Man there is some serious spider webs to deal with under that bonnet.

Also got some Acetone onto the baked on glue left behind from the old window tint and removed one windows mess. 1 down, 4 to go.

Nice straight and even gaps.

The radiator came out along with the upper/lower hoses and the thermostat/fan switch.

Ever seen a 20y/o carby engine cold start like this?

[video]http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/siwood22/?action=view&current=IMG_3575.mp4[/video]

The last two weeks after work have been consumed taking the glue/tint that's had 8 years to bake in off the windows and doing the prep work for the paint job. Not entirely difficult but time consuming.

The glass came up great, i tried all kinds of solvents etc but what worked the best was a super fine steel wool.

I had pulled the car down again in between tint/glue removal to get started on the prep for the paint job, The worst dent actually just popped back out into almost perfect shape.

30 mins into it, I used a fairly coarse pad to begin with which made more work for me. Hence why this corner is almost all down to factory primer now.

The next day. Drivers side almost done.

Some areas where i went down to bare metal were lightly sprayed in primer.

The bonnet was a full arvo's work (3.5hrs) The paint was really hard, took 4 passes.

Next day i started on the left side/tail gate.

How the interior is looking.

Finished the major sanding. I've bathed the car in Prepsol about 4 times and washed down almost the entire workshop to get as much dust as possible out, Then hit it with a can of flat black paint (so i can see what area's I've not done while hand finishing)
Tomorrow i can start on the blocking down by hand to get it super smooth.

Still have to do the bumpers, Im picking up a good condition rear bumper over the weekend so ill get into them asap too.

Should also add that last week I flushed the radiator/engine out, threw in a new thermostat and fan switch, bled it all up fine.
Left it running for over an hour untouched, fan worked perfectly and temp sat steady at just below half.

Have made a few purchases for the civ recently along with getting the shell prepped for final paintwork.

98 Spec DC2R 5-stud conversion, I plan on overhauling these before i license the car.

Expecting to have the paintwork complete in 2-3 weeks.

painted the car, The factory colour - Milano red

2 coats of two pack primer
4 coats of two-pack clear base
2 coats of clear.

Wet rub down with 2000 between each coat.

Im wrapped with my diy paint job, took a fair amount of hours but came out like glass.

Sat like that for about 2 weeks.

I picked up the donor car.

EG2 CRX DelSol - Factory B16A2, 5sp manual 144xxx km's

Drove it back to my shop and pulled the drivetrain out. Motor/Box/driveshafts/Loom all out in 90 mins. Farken record!

Ran really well all the back. Definently not the most spacious interior lol

Will get the motor and box in and all running soon. Then i'll yank it all back out, shave and tuck the bay, throw in some goodies on the B16 then drop it all back in.

Till then.
By HaydenSI
#324815 This civic is going to be clean as fuck. Nice job :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#324820 awesome! welcome.
By cleanb18eg
#325233 Welcome. A clean hatch is always nice on the eyes. Do you have any plans for the motor?