Post YOUR Hatchback here
By EG6_rugby
#323406 Got a alot done in the three days i had home before i leave again. started wet sanding the car and removing the lights and sidemirrors etc

tail lights gone. was a pain in the A$$ when you have big hands trying to get the four bolts out the back of the brake lights

Of course i found some more spots to touch up on the car and went through and touched up some spots with the 320 grit wet sand. Word to the wise make sure you use enough harder in the filler or it will just had a few hours to you project sanding it all off. me-1 filler 1

So accepting defeat started painting rear bumer. few cosmetic probs but hardly noticeable

first coat ofter sanding

2nd coat and left to dry over night

wet sanded with 1200 and applied 2 and half more coats since wasnt much left in the can. just need to clear coat when i get back

all the pieces if finished minus clear coat on rear bumper

need to re tape the car off and should be ready for paint when get back. had to buy outthe local home depot of gloss almond. was runnning out and if you ever lived on a island you will learn to buy it when u see it or it wont be there when you need it.
By Skillachie
#323450 Another Coastie :woot:
Car looks good man :thumb:
What rate are you? :hehe:
By EG6_rugby
bigJOE671 wrote:Are you originally from guam?

Na. I have a lot friends that are from guam and they convinced me to check it out. Good car scene here
By EG6_rugby
Skillachie wrote:Another Coastie :woot:
Car looks good man :thumb:
What rate are you? :hehe:

GM1 riding it out on a 110.. where you at
By EG6_rugby
#323982 as the update title says. but before i get into that. lets talk about the good things that happend on my 2 day stop home before i leave again.

After getting my ass handed to me by the 10-12 ft seas, get home friday night to a little gift from the mail man. One package of many on its way here.

brand new mud guards finally arrived:

pass out at like 930 wake up early sat morning to work on the car. goal was to finish by sunday evening.

primered areas

On my way out the door to hit the gym, mail man suprises me with another package. fresh head lights:

First coats on the body

rear section (dont forget about the license plate lights- i did)

Clear coat about to go on

disaster :x

i was about an hour from putting the car back together when i saw what looked like spider webs. i poke at it and it didnt move, jus caved in a little. then it peeled.

other side

I was so defeated i just grabbed 60 grit and started sanding. stopped slammed the sanding block and went inside. i would be writing this half drunk right now if i wasnt on recall for work.

Well what the car woulda looked like minus the sanded strip

gots to leave again so when i get back i am just going to take it down the metal and primer it. guess its time to break out the big guns. sanding this thing by hand aint gunna do.
By Punksz6
#324094 Cant wait to see it done. Great work so far, minus the disaster but that will make you that much better when you finish. :thumb:
By EG6_rugby
#324400 Thanks guys for the support... I got in last night and tried to salvage it. More I tried more crappy it looked. Off to Home Depot to purchase sander.. I'll add sum pics later..
By EG6_rugby
#325034 So been a crappy week of work. Pretty much been home for a day at a time then back to work. To top if off crappiest seas every. walls of water eye level and you already 20 feet or so off the water line. I ll post some pics if i can get my hands on them any way as for the car.

Got home to a bunch of packages. Spoon style mirrors, new corner lenses, bout some carbon fiber wrap if i cant fix the hood. sad part they are still in the packages. and to top it off i relealized the Type -R lip i bought is for the Ek :thumbdown:

Bought an orbital sander and went to town. cleaned up alot of the imperfections i didnt do the first time around.

ran some new speaker wire while i had the fenders off. sorry for the lame pic, guess i wanted to take more just forgot

Sanded her down with 60 grit and 250 grit. Some messy Shit and my lungs hurt. respirator or no respirator that stuff gets everywhere.

taping off ready to lay primer down.

first few layers. some powdery stuff.

Started laying down the ultra flat. dark brown.

All this was friday and saturday. Saturday evening got recalled again. got to work and then stood down. :woot:

Sunday, slept till 10 managed to started sanding the entire body with 1000 grit then stopped. exshuasted and have a bball game tonight. here is a pic of how she sits right now. on another note might have a buyer for the crx and the maybe the Gixxer.

By Uknterror
#325069 Love the determination! Keep it up! :thumb:
By Punksz6
#325113 :thumb:
By EG6_rugby
#325502 Ive found that being a perfectionist is hurting my wallet in a since of re buying things. I will be a pro at paint before when it all said an done. I layed another coat and was instantly disatisfied with the way it came out..

my own fault for rushing and trying different methods ive seen online. :(
SO after countless hours of sanding, painting, masking off... ive decided the best way to paint is competely by wetsanding and washing off ALL the dirt left behind.

so i was at a stand still.... half the car painted flat brown and front and rear bumpers still painted gloss almond. Needless to say i went back to gloss almond.

Im a slave to this car
By EG6_rugby
#325615 Finally got some time to shoot the car for the 3rd time. Much more successful.

1st coat. it only took one can to put s base layer down around the whole car (minus front/rear bumper) I also did it this way to check for any chemical reactions before i was to deep into the proccess. lessons learned there

2nd coat. Little thicker

3rd coat. This is when i realized that you dont have to move the clan closer. Just slow down the speed at which you move the can from one side to the other

4th and final coat. i really slowed down. I didnt primer so it took a few good passes to cover the dark paint up. for a single stage paint it came out alright. unless you take it down to bare metal, flaws in the paint will show through. im a little hesitant to put sand and put another coat on because i dont want to lose all the work i completed.

These 2 pics are after 24 hours of drying
By EG6_rugby
#326017 So finally got the car back together (some what) feels like its been forever, at least she had a full tank of gas still :woot:

fresh out the paint booth. 2 stage no primer

new corner lens and headlamps going in

front. rear bumper on.

Spoon style mirrors and HOP mud guards

I was going to attempt to wrap the hood since it is already a carbon fiber hood. didnt work out to well since the surface is jacked. probally sandign out and paint it or somthing. IDK you can see the imperfections in the hood.

Well finally how she sits right now. minus front bumper. I need to take the clear off since the car doestn have a clear coat. Have to do the same for the rear bumper as well

Also fixed the missing pillar and trim. you can see in the driver side pic above. only took a month and a half to get here

Future plans:

getting ready to head back state side this summer so be minimal stuff. new steering wheel, if i sell my gold rotas on the crx i might get the eniki92s. i like those for some reason. install some new front speakers as well. really bout it for now. tired of waiting for stuff to get here in the mail.

Thanks for looking so far