Post YOUR Hatchback here
By HiTec
#323408 Next thing to do was right rear corner. I used knife to examine the previous owners "repairs"...

In summer, when i had a first careful look at this corner, it was like this:

So much bondo straight on rust:

I have to fabricate the whole inner fenders backside again. Because of that "playing with the bondo", the whole enclosure is full of wet mud and sand and it has rusted from inside. Also the enclosures outer metal is really crunchy, but fortunately the repair piece i have will have that part too :)

Then i started to remove the rear suspension parts. Things went too good until i needed to remove the trailing arms inner bolt. In this time the suspension sitted on top of the jack and only the RTA inner bolt was attached. When i was removing the inner bolt things go little difficult...

No help from WD-40, heat, tenderness. Bolt got loose about 2cm, until i heard a sharp sound and the bolt was spinning like a crazy. First i thought that it snapped, but then i realized that it was the counterpart that ripped of.

I needed to track down the teared of piece:

And there it was:

Father wanted to weld it back, so i focused on snapping pictures.

Then my ASR replica arrived.

I still had my genuine ASR gen1 brace spacers and subframe backing plates, so i thought that i could test the replica because they are dirt cheap if you buy them straight from china. Replicas have _REALLY_ bad backing plates and spacers. They look very dangerous, so dont use them! They are also thicker than genuine pieces, so the bolts wont screw in too good. Also the bolts are grade 8.8, you shouldnt use them. I got grade 12.8 hex´s from local shop, so i will be using those. The brace itself looks like a very nicely machined and anodized piece of aluminum, but ofc its some unknown aluminum. It will do its job in this winterbeater project when combined with genuine ASR install hardware :)

By Copepsy
#323414 Hi man! good job rly i love to do that 2 :D... But im noob i just know to drive ( and that is not so good ) haha RLY i cant belive what job u did !! Keep up! :)
By HiTec
#325550 I´m not any professional car mechanic either. I´m just electrical engineer. I just have been learning how to do this kind of things by myself :P

Selling this shell (when its ready) is one option, because obviously it would be completely wrong to use this as a winterbeater after so much work. I dont even know why i started to do this too detailed. What car i´m driving in winters if this is never going to see snow anymore? I still have the same problem that i had before buying this car :D

Here´s a little update. Slow progress as always. I changed some bushings. PITA without press, but you can do it with the bench (what is the right word?) and i also cleaned and undersealed the wheel arches and other places:

Right rear wheel arch. I traced that how big repair pieces i need.:

I also removed the webasto sunroof, because im doing some modifications to it. I bought arduino NANO V3.0 to it. I´m adding sunroof automation features to it. I need to add some switches to it, so the sunrood knows its position (open, closed, spoiler.) I also thought that i could add a rain sensor to it. I still want it to look as much OEM as possible, so i will be using OEM-sunroof switch that my friend will be sending to me :) Image

Yesterday i chanced the front lca:s rear bushings. This is how you do it without press. Just saw it like this and use hammer to knock of the old tired bushing :)

Then i started to clean the left side of the rocker cover(?) Its not ready yet, cause i still need to remove some parts.

I installed the lights to ease up planning the wire tuck routes.

Those white markings are dates and what has been done in that date. This one says that that part of the car is cleaned, rust inspected and undersealed/waxed Image

Thanks for watching! :)
By Civic_HatchSI
#325561 Wow you have lots of patience to tackle something so rusted out! big props to you! I would of bought a new shell if it was me lol..

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your updates :thumb:
By HiTec
#326637 Slow progress:

I was bored, so I figured to try those spare 282mm drilled & grooved discs to see how it would look like. It was a mistake.

I bought ITR front calipers :D

...and started to refurbish them:

New seals and slider rubbers:

Then I tried blue caliper paint, put I don't like it so I think I will change the color some day:

And I couldn´t stop myself. I had to buy steel braided brake lines also:

I also bought fog lights to this, because I thought that I want them later anyway, so why not to buy them now when its easier to install the wires?
Then, maybe the most stupid or useless buy ever, but its was cheap so why not? :)

Fog lights were used and I don't know why but the brackets didnt have any places where to screw them in the bumper? Luckily I have my EG8:s fog lights where I can draw the new pieces.

Some wire tuck pics:

Then I installed the dash back. Not completely though, cause I still need to buy and wire up the Avital 3100 alarm.

Couple of days ago I was sitting in a garage and listening music while thinking how to do my EG8:s hybrid fenders. Before that I was watching this EG4:s right rear inner fender and thinking of how to rebuild it.

Then it flashed in my mind like a rock in the russian sky month ago:

It has a exactly same shape as inner fender.

I had those spare pieces from EG8:s front fenders laying around...Why to throw them away when you can use them to revive this?

Little test fitting and shaping:

To be continued in some day...
By HiTec
#332424 Time for a little update I think!

Front brake setup:

- EG VTi 262mm hubs
- MG ZS 250 drilled&grooved MTEC discs
- Integra Type-R 17CL15VN Nissin calipers
- Machined 23T brackets
- Goodridge stainles steel braided brake lines
- Used OEM-brake pads (for testing purposes)

Then I dropped the car on its own paws, first time since last summer :)

I also assembled the interior little bit. Stupid to install it now, because I still need to weld, but I think I can get it covered so it wont get hurt :)
I don't like grey interior, but when its clean it doesnt look too bad. I managed to remove all the stains from the carpet. There is only 2 or 3 cig burns in a carpet.

The other side:

I don't understand why all the car owners must have some kind of cell phone stand that's ofc screwed to the dash? And why, oh why it has been bolted to dash with 6 screws? Someone must have owned very heavy phone.

I also buffed the clock bezel to remove all the scratches:

Rear end is almost assembled, so I could lower it to its own paws. I still need to do some cleaning and undersealing, but I have plenty of time with this.

Some pics before cleaning:

By Uknterror
#332433 Give this man an award! Saved this car from its junkyard fate! :thumb:
By panic989
#332449 Total props man. That is really a good build. I'm really surprised you decided to keep that shell instead of just scrapping it and buying a new one. There are a few reasons I love living in the South West United States... its all desert so we generally don't have to deal with rust issues and if anything is rusted it is just surface rust. :thumb:
By Punksz6
#332474 Alot of Awesome Work!!! Cant wait to see it finished!! :thumb: