Post YOUR Hatchback here
By ibicycle
#308556 let me start by introducing myself im david and im 16 years old i live in the suburbs of chicago
so for my first car i am interested in buying a 94 civic vx hatch
it has mpg
its not expensive
very good looking car
not scared to learn to drive stick on it ( i ride dirtbikes so i know how it works just cant take off smoothly)
but i do have a few questions
1.What exactly does eg mean my understanding is its a broad term for a 92-95 civic
2. my parents arnt to sure about letting me drive stick do u have any tips on convincing them ( there matching what i pay on it so they have a say in it kinda)
3.I am not the most mechenical person but i am very interested in it i have my brothers help and support on modding the car (he works on tuners alot) but is this a good car to learn the works of cars with?
4.is it very expensive? i can get alot of discounts on some stuff cause my friend races profesonaly for bmw butt that wont help much with most of the engine modding

those are my questions and concerns if u could help i will be apreciative
oh and i get my liscense in 1 month from today (july 17)

and i hope this is the right thread to post in :D :woot:
By familyEGuy23
#308557 First good job on picking a civic for your first car :thumb:
1.EG is simply part of the VIN code it was stamped with 92-95 Honda civics mostly jdm ones because in US it'll probably be EH coupes got Ej1 or Ej2 my sedan is Eg8

.And if you find a VX hop on it, saves alot of gas rare over here in California

2.Tell your parents its a good time to learn and it will keep you distracted from using your cell phone or other things while driving and that its a VX an economical beast so its not the fastest but you'll be saving a lot of money for college, bills, insurance, etc

3.And these are the easiest cars to work on my lil bro is 17 and picked up quick already worked on his integra by himself, so get a Haynes manual or Chilton and come on the forum and ask questions if needed people on here are very helpful I learned everything from this forum :thumb:

4. it can get expensive but not exaggerated like a luxury car..depends what you want to do with it like make it a fast track car or reliable daily driver

And good luck hope to see you soon :D
By ibicycle
familyEGuy23 wrote:First good job on picking a civic for your first car :thumb:
1.EG is simply part of the VIN code it was stamped with 92-95 Honda civics mostly jdm ones because in US it'll probably be EH coupes got Ej1 or Ej2 my sedan is Eg8

.And if you find a VX hop on it, saves alot of gas rare over here in California

2.Tell your parents its a good time to learn and it will keep you distracted from using your cell phone or other things while driving and that its a VX an economical beast so its not the fastest but you'll be saving a lot of money for college, bills, insurance, etc

3.And these are the easiest cars to work on my lil bro is 17 and picked up quick already worked on his integra by himself, so get a Haynes manual or Chilton and come on the forum and ask questions if needed people on here are very helpful I learned everything from this forum :thumb:

4. it can get expensive but not exaggerated like a luxury car..depends what you want to do with it like make it a fast track car or reliable daily driver

And good luck hope to see you soon :D

thanks man :) and thats a good idea with the itle keep me ocupied
By dbrooks
#308565 That's some good info.

I agree with him! :thumb:
By poorman type-r
#308568 Well just tell them about the mpg it gets and they should be sold on it. Lol

Can't beat 45+ mpg. :thumb:

Tell them not to worry about speeding or anything because the motor that comes in the VX is NOT quick what-so-ever. I would say it is a perfect car to learn how to drive stick.

The first time I worked on a Honda it took me 4-5 hours to get the head off and change the headgasket. Now, 2 years later, I can drop a motor swap in a new one and have it running in the same amount of time (if I do it fast and there aren't any problems).. It just takes trial and error for you to learn. The forums on here have helped me tremendously and we are all here to give insight to one another so you will always have your questions answered.
By ibicycle
poorman type-r wrote:Well just tell them about the mpg it gets and they should be sold on it. Lol

Can't beat 45+ mpg. :thumb:

Tell them not to worry about speeding or anything because the motor that comes in the VX is NOT quick what-so-ever. I would say it is a perfect car to learn how to drive stick.

The first time I worked on a Honda it took me 4-5 hours to get the head off and change the headgasket. Now, 2 years later, I can drop a motor swap in a new one and have it running in the same amount of time (if I do it fast and there aren't any problems).. It just takes trial and error for you to learn. The forums on here have helped me tremendously and we are all here to give insight to one another so you will always have your questions answered.

your right haha cant go wrong with 45 mpq especial with 4$ for a gallon by were i am at

You cant go wrong my dude and where around chicago are you at im by The wis il state border nice to see new drivers interested in civics and not some other newer fancy cars

i am about 30 mins south of the city the more known citys around me are naperville lagrange downersgrove elmhurst
but i am in darien
By 94 EG Hatch
#308571 Great info and I agree.

Btw, Name is Terence. I'm a VA boy lol.

I can relate somewhat. First car wasn't a Honda. I'm on my 3rd vehicle right now. First was a 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2 DOHC Ecotec (Chevy's VTEC lol) and boy she killed Single Cams lmao. 2nd was my 1981 Buick Regal 3.8 (Had some power). Now, I too have moved into the Honda game with my 94 Hatch. VIN code is stamped "EH" but I still say it's an EG lol.

Welcome to the forums!

I do have a few tips for you about driving a stick. I just recently learned how to drive a stick.

For starters, "Gettin your car to move from a stop".

There are multiple ways to do it, but the simplest way I found, was the "Pat, pat, pat, release" method. Clutch down, LIGHTLY pat the gas a few times, while gradually letting off the clutch. Don't do it too hard or clutch problems can occur. Hard to explain to someone how to drive a stick. You will get an actual "Feel" for it. Each car is different and each clutch is different. So you might drive a Toyota 5 Spd just fine, but each clutch has different release, etc, etc.

Not tryin to write a book, just tryin to help you out. You will feel the release point for the clutch and figure out how to coordinate the gas pedal into the equation as you learn. Be safe and best of luck to you!

-Terence.
By ibicycle
94 EG Hatch wrote:Great info and I agree.

Btw, Name is Terence. I'm a VA boy lol.

I can relate somewhat. First car wasn't a Honda. I'm on my 3rd vehicle right now. First was a 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2 DOHC Ecotec (Chevy's VTEC lol) and boy she killed Single Cams lmao. 2nd was my 1981 Buick Regal 3.8 (Had some power). Now, I too have moved into the Honda game with my 94 Hatch. VIN code is stamped "EH" but I still say it's an EG lol.

Welcome to the forums!

I do have a few tips for you about driving a stick. I just recently learned how to drive a stick.

For starters, "Gettin your car to move from a stop".

There are multiple ways to do it, but the simplest way I found, was the "Pat, pat, pat, release" method. Clutch down, LIGHTLY pat the gas a few times, while gradually letting off the clutch. Don't do it too hard or clutch problems can occur. Hard to explain to someone how to drive a stick. You will get an actual "Feel" for it. Each car is different and each clutch is different. So you might drive a Toyota 5 Spd just fine, but each clutch has different release, etc, etc.

Not tryin to write a book, just tryin to help you out. You will feel the release point for the clutch and figure out how to coordinate the gas pedal into the equation as you learn. Be safe and best of luck to you!

-Terence.

thanks man i will make sure to try that
By ibicycle
HungRealLow21 wrote:oh I see your around that area about an hour nd a half away

yeahh when i get my car tho we should go on a lake shore cruise :thumb:
By ibicycle
HungRealLow21 wrote:most deff man you need any help with anything later on just let me know

will do :)
By dbrooks
#308592 Try watching a youtube videos about driving a manual :thumb:
By 1ACarlos
#308876 Definitely not a bad pick for a first car.