What's the next step?

30%
20%
50%
N/A
By jtull
#268759 Howdy everyone,

Just joined the Civic-EG today and here are some pics of my baby:

Currently i'm running headers into 3" cat back exhaust with high-flow converter. Upgraded intake to 2.5" Cold Air. Painted CAI and valve cover glossy black and upgraded distributor wires. Running upper and lower sway bars, front and rear, and am waiting for the time to install my coilovers.
By teal_dx
#268817 3" exhaust is way overkill for your d15b8. You're losing too much back pressure. (The d15b8 doesn't need to breath much to begin with)
Clean hatch though :thumb:
I wouldn't replace the clutch unless it's slipping.

I was going to say lower the car, but you already have coil overs. I'd recommend buying a set of aftermarket struts if your coil overs are the sleeve type. It won't ride very well on stock struts.
You'll love driving it lowered, these cars handle great when lowered properly :thumb:
A set of 15" wheels will help with handling a little bit but it looks like you already have 14" so that's good enough for now if you can't afford the 15" + tires. New rims would be a nice addition though.

I wouldn't waste time boosting that d15b8 motor. it's an 8-valve head which isn't going to get you the gains you would from a D16z6, or even a d15b7.

Intake & throttle body are going to be a waste of $$ as well. I would start saving up for a motor swap if you want to build a fast car, or continue using your stock motor if you like the excellent MPG.
:thumb:
Last edited by teal_dx on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By forcefedEG
teal_dx wrote:3" exhaust is way overkill for your d15b8. You're losing too much back pressure. (The d15b8 doesn't need to breath much to begin with)
Clean hatch though :thumb:
I wouldn't replace the clutch unless it's slipping.

I was going to say lower the car, but you already have coil overs. I'd recommend buying a set of aftermarket struts if your coil overs are the sleeve type. It won't ride very well on stock struts.
You'll love driving it lowered, these cars handle great when lowered properly :thumb:
A set of 15" wheels will help with handling a little bit but it looks like you already have 14" so that's good enough for now.

I wouldn't waste time boosting that d15b8 motor. it's an 8-valve head which isn't going to get you the gains you would from a D16z6, or even a d15b7.

Intake & throttle body are going to be a waste of $$ as well. I would start saving up for a motor swap if you want to build a fast car, or continue using your stock motor if you like the excellent MPG.
:thumb:

X2 I'd save for a swap. The 8 valve is not performance oriented at all
By jrhdominos
#268830 Definately get it low, with a good set of 15s...then save for the swap...Looks like the d has a lot of life in it.
By mr67volks
#268840 Swap or mini me

Also what are your plans with. The car?
By jtull
#268920 Sweet guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I'm brand new to honda tuning, i've had mustangs all my life and i got this for the gas mileage/lower insurance. But i started doing some research and found out how much you can do to these cars and i think i've got the bug now haha.

Do any of you guys know about how much it would cost to do a quality engine swap/mini-me on this car? Where should i look to buy the block? Can you get a block that is compatible with my transmission (car only has 50k miles on it)? Have you heard of any shops that will buy low mileage engines? Or should i just keep it as a back up?

I am still kind of interested in boosting this engine, I can get a complete kit for only 600.00 and my friend knows a guy who owns a shop which will do the install/tuning. Is it really not worth the hassle?

The rims im looking to get are Konig Forward or Konig Zero-In. But im totally open to suggestions.
By sixspeedhatch
#268935 u should look into moving up to b series tons of info on the swap and only requires a limited average amount of tools, as for motor purchases definetly wanna hear it run, junkyards are great for that i picked up a ls b18b1 and trans axels ecu shift linkage harness for 1200 bucks at local import junkyard and i would def keep the old motor laying around you never know when youll need it, as for a 600 dollar turbo kit you get what you pay for in turbos :thumbdown: coming from single cam to dohc is a very noticeable difference and a great platform to build some power imo
By b20_link
sixspeedhatch wrote:u should look into moving up to b series tons of info on the swap and only requires a limited average amount of tools, as for motor purchases definetly wanna hear it run, junkyards are great for that i picked up a ls b18b1 and trans axels ecu shift linkage harness for 1200 bucks at local import junkyard and i would def keep the old motor laying around you never know when youll need it, as for a 600 dollar turbo kit you get what you pay for in turbos :thumbdown: coming from single cam to dohc is a very noticeable difference and a great platform to build some power imo

do it yo !!
:thumb: :thumb:
but don't for get to post soon pic after the build
By chris_barnes
#269451 Definitely go B, like B18...something (GSR or Type R if you have the money). You cannot imagine what the difference would be...