Post YOUR Hatchback here
By hambone089
#261428 so Have you met Brooke? she's a 1995 Honda Civic CX. i wanted to start a build thread for her since the build is now totally underway. ive already been at it for a couple of weeks, so ill get up to date first. then if all goes according to plan ill post my adventures each weekend as they happen!

im going to take this first post to introduce Brooke and show what ive already done to the car before starting this big summer project.

so heres Brooke, the way she looked before all this taking apart business started happening to her

sometimes i try at photography...

notice the paint drips... yeah i didnt paint it before, but i will

a few dents and dings, but overall the bodies in great shape

the paint on the bumper might be the best example of the terrible paint job, im convinced there was no sanding or priming done before hand.

like i said, i "try" at photography.

anyways, on to the mods and replacements ive already done

for starters, heres the engine bay. she got a D16Z6 put in before i owned the car. i built the CAI (it is a cold air, i just took this pic while i had it converted to a short ram for the winter months). it got a new radiator after being towed by my buddies truck (lil rough). did the ignition after my coil blew up.

close up on the MSD Super Conductor ignition system. i run that to bosch platinum 4 plugs.

i strapped a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler on the back cuz its throaty and i couldnt take the silence of stock.

i replaced the lower control arms, ball joints, steering rack, tie rod ends and axles on the front end. yeah, the ride was gettin a little scary before all that.

ive probly done other stuff, but i forget. ive had the car two and a half years, just wasnt building it cuz i was still in school.

ill get pics posted of all the stuff when i get the chance
Last edited by hambone089 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
By dbrooks
#261430 Nice. The only way to get better at photography is to practice and practice! :thumb:
By hambone089
#261431 so anyways, im gonna separate the weeks that have already happened into their own posts, even though theyve all already happened.

this all started when i decided that shitty lookin bumper needed some work. so i busted out my masking tape and black spray paint, and madness ensued. this whole projects kinda pointless now since i decided im gonna sand and prime the whole car. nonetheless, here it goes.

its my opinion that cars look better with the bumper off

this bench was a perfect bumper stand! my dog was helpin out a lot with this one.

got the bumper all taped up

add paint

finished product

not a very time consuming project, and well worth it for the look it gave the car. i only drove it another week before getting it up on stands in the garage though.
By civicruisin
#261462 Not a bad start, but lose the ignition, cherry bomb and please, LOWER IT!! lol, good luck, keep us updated.
By Ajax1989
civicruisin wrote:Not a bad start, but lose the ignition, cherry bomb and please, LOWER IT!! lol, good luck, keep us updated.

why lose the ignition?
and why lose the exhaust??

he put it on for a reason
By Gustavo
#261466 Nice start. The bumper looks better with the grill n fog lights painted black. :thumb:
By Gustavo
94_jdm_ferio wrote:
civicruisin wrote:Not a bad start, but lose the ignition, cherry bomb and please, LOWER IT!! lol, good luck, keep us updated.

why lose the ignition?

I was about 2 ask him y does he need 2 lose the ignition. Hell i wish i had msd.
By Greasedmonkey
#261474 The ignition is not needed. The stock setup is good for plenty of power.

As for the muffler, Im not sure why it must go, but Im sure he said that because its not a "JDM" brand or some such.
By Ajax1989
Greasedmonkey wrote:The ignition is not needed. The stock setup is good for plenty of power.

As for the muffler, Im not sure why it must go, but Im sure he said that because its not a "JDM" brand or some such.

i agree on both, ngk plugs and ngk wires, oem cap, and oem rotor is plenty
and yeah, its not a twin loop or a es tuning or one of them drift exhuast that dont belong on civic's lol
By hambone089
94_jdm_ferio wrote:
Greasedmonkey wrote:The ignition is not needed. The stock setup is good for plenty of power.

i agree on both, ngk plugs and ngk wires, oem cap, and oem rotor is plenty
and yeah, its not a twin loop or a es tuning or one of them drift exhuast that dont belong on civic's lol

yeah, i agree with you guys all the way, what im running is overkill, lol. but there is logic behind it (somewhere). when my ignition coil blew, it fried everything, and it was actually cheaper for me to buy the super conductor coil than to get a replacement stock one (weird right?). but it did create power, the throttle response got better, the whole sound of the car changed, sounds a lot more like a race car. i like the way it worked out, and it really wasnt too expensive.
By hambone089
94_jdm_ferio wrote:

why lose the ignition?

in response, i do have a reason. i HATE fart cannons. :x they suck, and i see so many guys with civics that sound like lawn mowers, i want mine to be different. when i actually do the exhaust (ie. when i actually have money), im going with pace setter because they're a muscle car company. i think my car sounds good, and it most certainly sounds deeper and less wing dingy than most guys with their cat backs.

and to the lower it part, well i said this is the beginning of the build. really i posted this today to show where im starting at, cuz thats the way im looking at it. i plan a full suspension build, but the brakes are coming first. im also not all about slammin the car so it looks cool. ill get into all my plans in my next post, and theres lots more pics on the way cuz theres still 2 project weekends i havent covered yet.
By hambone089
#261485 ok, so no pics in this post, but lots of plans. i have a whole lot of stuff that i want to do, and i am a lists sort of person. i love crossing things off.

anyway, heres my list with included prices of what i plan on doing to the car. not listed in all that is painting the car, which hopefully the prep will be done by the end of the summer (ie. quarter rust fixed, sanded and painted)

Brooke’s Summer project $1191

Brakes $442
• Rear calipers $156
• Rear Rotors $50
• Master cylinder $30
• E-brake cables $90
• Ceramic pads $40
• Moog trailing arm bushings $76
• Russel steel braided brake lines $93

the brakes are all purchased and will hopefully be installed either this weekend or the next. ill have pics up of how that projects is going tomorrow.

Suspension $473
• Eibach Pro System Sportline- shocks and springs $473

Engine $32
• Gates timing belt $32

Exterior $244
• Hatch seal $34
• Type r front lip $40
• Amber corner lights $20
• Rear quarters and sheet metal $100
• Primer and sand paper $50

this is the other stuff i want to do, but am not planning on doing this summer

Brooke’s other build stuff $1687

Transmission $511
• Clutchmasters fx100 clutch $236
• B&M short throw shifter $55
• Fidanza lightweight flywheel $220

Suspension $739
• ST sway bar front/rear $307
• Megan racing strut bar front and rear $126
• Megan racing rear lower control arms $126
• Password jdm lower tie bar $85
• Megan racing rear camber kit $95

Exhaust $437
• Pace Setter headers $170
• Pace Setter Monza cat back $267

anyway thats my list right now, and my goal is to set Brooke up for autoX. thats why brakes come first, then suspension. the reason for no real power mods at this point is
1) the other car ive got to drive is a shitty accord with tons of miles on it, so i dont want to tear into the motor for fear of not having anything to drive if the other car breaks down
2) i was once given advice by a wise man who has won a lot of autoX leagues in his life. he said to figure out how your car handles and learn to get the best times out of it before you give it any more power
3) i aint made of money
4) i might just swap a B into it, i havent really decided yet.

so thats just about everything im thinking for the foreseeable future. i will post a do it yourself with the rear disk swap.
By civicruisin
94_jdm_ferio wrote:

why lose the ignition?

The stock ignition system provides plenty of spark, I've seen many many 500+whp Hondas/acuras on stock ignitions save for the plugs. Granted since he got the MSD setup for less than what Oem would cost, good for him, smart move. And because cherry bomb exhausts.... :lol: he admitted he planned on getting a good one later down the road.

Why do you think he put em there? to gain 5 hp? lol, come on man.
By civicruisin

No, read above post and it looks clean most times, I assure you I am no JDM fanboy.
By hambone089
#261607 alright so i promised updates tonight, and here they are. so two weeks ago i had the cash and decided to buy everything i needed to set up my rear disk conversion. that stuff was all on my list.

i thought that it would be a fun little project to just replace the front brake hoses with the Russel steel braided ones i had just got in.

well this seemed like a good idea until my main brake lines were seized. needless to say i broke one and got stuck without brakes for a week while honda ordered me a new one.

heres the old and busted, and the new hotness

so after busting that brake line i decided to just go ahead do the rear disk swap. so i took the time to get the rear trailing arms all set up

i still havent pressed the bushings in, but that will be happening on saturday while im at work (hopefully im not too busy)

so that weekend i managed to brake some stuff, ordered replacements, but managed to get my rear disk swap almost all ready.

also a little more bad news i found, nail in one of my rear tires. but thats ok since they were getting low on tread anyways, and im gonna upgrade to 205 wides for up front. so two new tires here i come (im not getting 4 cuz my current front treads, 195 wide, are almost brand new)