Post YOUR Hatchback here
By JangoFeet08
chris_barnes wrote:So, I see you wrote you plan to swap, but still you bought a header. So, you will be driving the EG3 for some time after all :) I used to have that engine, it's only for Europe (i think). Don't put too large wheels, it will kill the car (will become slow). You may have noticed (if you have not driven any other carbureted engine) that is starts a bit slow. My advice is to hit the gas pedal just once when you get in, and then turn on the ignition, it will start much faster. Also, if the car is a facelift ('94 or '95) you will have the shorter gearbox with 4.4 FD which is quite sought after. If you have any questions PM me, I'll be happy to respond. EG3 is a good base to start if you are going for a fast car, as it is the lightest of all EGs. :)

Thanks for the info..

i got the entire exhaust system for free.. didnt pay a dime for the headers, pipe, or muffler.. so that's why i did that...
also, i haven't done my swap yet cause im waiting on my buddy to finish his k20 swap before i get his d16b8. He has the b8 with the 4 valve reliefs on the cylinders, so i just need a vtec head.
Thats the swap im going to do.
Hopefully it gets done soon..

ALSO, i got my duckbill in today, so ill install that later and post pics.

Thanks for all the comments!
By chris_barnes
#269531 Both ways (as to rims) are very nice! Congrats for the choice.
As to the engine - there's no such engine D16B8. The one you are talking about is found in US/Canadian civics - D15B8, basically it is a 70hp PGMFI civic with 8 instead of 16 valves. You need to do some research on it, I have only seen 1 such car here in Bulgaria. As it is fuel economy oriented, it's compression is a bit lower (9.1) unlike the rest of the D-series (9.2-9.3). You may change the pistons as well. D13 pistons are great for increasing compression, but with Vtec head, it may get too high (you need to do some calculations, but if memory serves right) around 12, and there will be a lot of detonations. Keep the gearbox of the D13, though. It is pretty short (unlike the endless gears of this economy-oriented engine D15B8).
By b20_link
JangoFeet08 wrote:
b20_link wrote:so what rims r you going to buy for your car ?

Rota slips or GSR fat fives.
The basic civic rims. lol

I can't wait to get off my steelies!!!

lol word
gsr hammer head
they r nice if u polish then
i had a set of then long time ago
By JangoFeet08
chris_barnes wrote:Both ways (as to rims) are very nice! Congrats for the choice.
As to the engine - there's no such engine D16B8. The one you are talking about is found in US/Canadian civics - D15B8, basically it is a 70hp PGMFI civic with 8 instead of 16 valves. You need to do some research on it, I have only seen 1 such car here in Bulgaria. As it is fuel economy oriented, it's compression is a bit lower (9.1) unlike the rest of the D-series (9.2-9.3). You may change the pistons as well. D13 pistons are great for increasing compression, but with Vtec head, it may get too high (you need to do some calculations, but if memory serves right) around 12, and there will be a lot of detonations. Keep the gearbox of the D13, though. It is pretty short (unlike the endless gears of this economy-oriented engine D15B8).

yeah, i totally meant to put d15b8 not 16... lol

ive been helpin my friend take the d15b8 out of his car so he can drop in the k20a. his engine is about as powerful as mine (in terms of HP) but he has the fuel injection i desire.. so it will make putting on a z6 or y8 head easy, compared to putting it on my carbed engine.

I'd like to find out if i COULD put a vtec head on my 1.3L... I have never seen that before and i bet i could push that shit so hard. I know id have to change out my fuel system though to fuel injection..
By chris_barnes
#269596 Yes, you can put a vtec head on a D13. It has been done a few times here in Bulgaria. And you can also convert it to PGMFI ;) There's no need to swap the engine for just that purpose. You will need, however, to change the head and re-do the wiring. You can either use a D15B2 head, as I did when I did my car, or you can directly go with a Vtec head. The problem is, that D13 is (as you already know) a carbureted engine. Instead of an electrical fuel pump it uses vacuum. Converting to PGMFI means you need to change the gas tank (from a civic with PGMFI) along with the pump and (if memory serves) you need to add one more fuel hose. You can get under your car and compare the fuel lines with the ones of your friend. You can find a gas tank very easy from a D15B2. The good part with D13 is that it can withstand quite a lot of RPMs, because of the short stroke.
As to ECU, you can go two ways. You can either stay OBD0 (which I think you will not do, because you already have the parts from your friend's engine). To do so, you need o use distributor, ecu and intake manifold with all its parts (throttle, injectors etc). How to convert to PFMFI writeup:
http://www.psytronix.org/xo/modules/sma ... ?itemid=11
it's for a D15, but D13 is the same OBD.
The other way is to go OBD1, you can take the above mentioned parts (with the wiring harness) from your friend's engine and put them on yours. Definitely, though, get at least a D15B2 head. The cam profile of this B8 and the small size of valves are economy-oriented. You will not get any significant results with them. After converting to PGMFI and tuning the car on a Dyno I managed to get 91 WHP, which compared to 75 hp is quite a difference. Car was running very smoothly.

p.s. Sorry for my long posts. Here's my dyno result: