Post YOUR Hatchback here
By chris_barnes
#269596 Yes, you can put a vtec head on a D13. It has been done a few times here in Bulgaria. And you can also convert it to PGMFI ;) There's no need to swap the engine for just that purpose. You will need, however, to change the head and re-do the wiring. You can either use a D15B2 head, as I did when I did my car, or you can directly go with a Vtec head. The problem is, that D13 is (as you already know) a carbureted engine. Instead of an electrical fuel pump it uses vacuum. Converting to PGMFI means you need to change the gas tank (from a civic with PGMFI) along with the pump and (if memory serves) you need to add one more fuel hose. You can get under your car and compare the fuel lines with the ones of your friend. You can find a gas tank very easy from a D15B2. The good part with D13 is that it can withstand quite a lot of RPMs, because of the short stroke.
As to ECU, you can go two ways. You can either stay OBD0 (which I think you will not do, because you already have the parts from your friend's engine). To do so, you need o use distributor, ecu and intake manifold with all its parts (throttle, injectors etc). How to convert to PFMFI writeup:
http://www.psytronix.org/xo/modules/sma ... ?itemid=11
it's for a D15, but D13 is the same OBD.
The other way is to go OBD1, you can take the above mentioned parts (with the wiring harness) from your friend's engine and put them on yours. Definitely, though, get at least a D15B2 head. The cam profile of this B8 and the small size of valves are economy-oriented. You will not get any significant results with them. After converting to PGMFI and tuning the car on a Dyno I managed to get 91 WHP, which compared to 75 hp is quite a difference. Car was running very smoothly.

p.s. Sorry for my long posts. Here's my dyno result: