Post YOUR Hatchback here
By pandapoo4u
Honda4life wrote:What paint did u use and how many coats? Also did u use a paint that could handle heat pretty well? One more question, what did you use to clean up the valve cover before painting? I was gonna try to do D.I.Y that teal dx did, but kinda worried Imma mess it up lol

Lol I started with the plain cover no paint to take off or anything it was just covered in oil so to clean it I used a can of engine degreaser from walmart it was cheap but if you have paint I use a thing call aircraft stripper its sold at autozone it comes in a spray can and a tin jug its a really good acid type remover

As for the paint I picked up a can of low gloss black 500+degree paint from rustoleum I like them for paint they have never done me wrong

I sprayed the first coat really thick did a little sanding over the places I wanted to remove the paint when i was done the honda logo and "h" and took out any drips found a couple places I missed in corners and such that still had grease used a q tip cotton swab type thing and cleaned those spots let it dry over night

My valve cover had flaws in it looked like a crack in the middle and the paint made it stick out so I sprayed just that area a few times 3 or 4 times to fill the area making sure I kept the paint off the logos

Once I got all the little flaws taken care of I did a full coat really light over the whole thing let it dry then sanded my logos and that's what it turned out to be if your afraid of getting paints in threaded holes put long screws in the holes spray around it then pull it out while its still wet so it doesn't stick or pull paint off with it
There are lots of little hints and tips that you learn with experience I have painted 4 or 5 different covers and am still learning

When sanding the logos I've been told to use a block to keep it even across the lifted area but I found it easier to fold the paper till it covers half my finger it gets little details and doens scratch the surrounding area if you over lap your surface It can scratch places you don't want it to

And make sure when you sand you go left and right on the whole thing or up and down on the whole thing otherwise it looks bad
And use a 150 to get paint off and something more like a 220 after to clean it up I just use 150 because the scratches give the logos a look I like

Shit if I had pictures there is you diy... lol idk about polishing I've heard its harder but let me know if this helps

Edit* this is how I do it im not saying anyone else is wrong this is just another way to get it done
By ceelx
#234401 your headlights is interesting :thumb:
By pandapoo4u
ceelx wrote:your headlights is interesting :thumb:

Thanks I took them apart to fix the halos and painted them while it was apart but I used an almost super glue to put it back together because I broke the clips and now they are stuck that way lol
By LaosToaster
#234524 ur headlights remind me of the new corvettes they have. they got the clear headlight and the back housing matched the cars paint along with the projectors. :)
By pandapoo4u
LaosToaster wrote:ur headlights remind me of the new corvettes they have. they got the clear headlight and the back housing matched the cars paint along with the projectors. :)

its funny you say that there is a red one that sits in a car dealership not too far from me and my wife said the same thing
By pandapoo4u
#234746 ok so got the valves adjusted got everything together and started it up

runs rough wont idle... moved the dizzy back and fourth... still no idle

slight amout of grey smoke coming out of the exhaust

ugh it sure looks pretty though...

got a video its super short but my camera died...

By pandapoo4u
#234828 ok its finally out of my garage...

it has the hardest time starting when its cold i have to keep my foot on the gas in order to keep the car running

when it gets warm enough to idle on its own it starts out super rough
bogging till it almost dies them revs back up really highand goes back and fourth

once its at running temp its fine smooth as hell...drives good too just need to get it registered...
By LaosToaster
#234867 does your car feel like its running on 3 pistons when cold??
By pandapoo4u
LaosToaster wrote:does your car feel like its running on 3 pistons when cold??

no when its cold and at 2k rpm its smooth and revs fine

when it drops the load to 1k rpm it wants to shut off like its starving for fuel

i noticed the temp gauge on the dash is stuck at the half way mark at all times pulled the thermostat and its a fail safe but its still alive

i was advised to change the temp guage in the housing next to the thermostat and see if that changes it
By pandapoo4u
#235337 got the idle issue figured out
come to find out i mixed up the map and tps sensors they are the same plug type and right next to each other

simple mistake but it allowed me to find other issues and fix them

like my gauge cluster being faulty [looking for new one now]

i need to change the oil again

and add actual coolant not just water... i was checking for leaks and didnt want to waste antifreeze water is a hell of alot cheaper...
By ghskid06
#235919 lol, i know the feeling with anti-freeze. Grats on getting it running good and i love the flat black engine bay. Headlights are still looking sweet too.
By pandapoo4u
Willy Wodka wrote:Kanjo racer paint job :P

i so had to look that up...

for those of you who dont know its highway street racers

a kanjo is a toll road that makes a circle or circuit

and i agree it def does look like one minus all the aftermarket stickers but i just wanted that one off look didn't go after a certain style
By pandapoo4u
#236720 Ok so little update I picked up
a new set of axels to put in
a stock air box
A New exhaust setup just looking for a stock cat...
A couple of plastic pieces and carpet for the trunk or behind seat space in a hatch...
Tomorrow I should be picking up a nos fogger system bottle heater and other stuff