Post YOUR Hatchback here
By imtyson
#213378 so i recently hopped on a 92 hatch which i traded for a coupe that i had. so far it has a fresh paint job, okay modern wheels, b16a2 and aftermarket sunroof. i have 3 pictures so far, but i will try to keep you guys up to date on my project.

what it needs
1. a new tranny or rebuild. 2nd and 3rd grind :( (please give me input on which you think is better.)
2. need a new o2 sensor.
3. fix headliner (not really sure how lol!!)
4. fix speedometer cause it spikes randomly like one of those crazy ballon clowns businesses have in front of their store. and i dont know the cause of that either......
5. vtec doesn't engage all the time idk why! guessing it would be the speedo acting up but not too sure.
6. need an alignment.

thats pretty much all i can think of so far that needs to be done to it. i really dont want to spend money on cosmetic stuff yet because i go to school full time and have a part time job, but that should be no excuse. i'm still learning from reading from everyones DIY and BUILDS, but sometimes i wish i had someone to actually teach me. >_< well enough of my talking here are the pics i will get some up tomorrow in the morning.

By Classiccarsrule85
#213381 to be honest it looks good and since your on the other coast (not east) you should be able to find b parts for relatively a decent price.....or you could grab a ls trans use it for the time being and just rebuild the b16 trans.....

other than that all that other stuff is relatively easy and id suggest just getting another si headliner...depending on whats wrong with yours you could recover it

but either way it looks like a nice decent civic
By Honda4life
#213385 X2 your car looks well off to a good build. I have a 92 si hatch myself and my headliner is sagging in the back also. I would say you can try and find one at your local junk yard like pick and pull or just get it redone. The only problem with trying to source one is si hatches are rare to come by and everyone that has one doesn't wanna let them go or you don't see to many in the junk yards, but it's worth a shot to try. As far as the tranny goes I would get a rebuild kit for it and in the mean time I would find a Ls tranny to use for now plus Ls trannies are pretty cheap. Also I would check on craigslist , but be aware for shady people on their. Good luck on the build and keep us posted. What area are you located in?
By imtyson
#213484 @honda4life- oh, my hatch isn't an si...:( its just an aftermarket sun roof. but the dimensions looks about the same as the si i would have to take measurements to make sure. i was thinking the same thing about the tranny get a cheap one rebuild myself. never really done any transmission work at all. i am located in the NW portland/vancouver area.

@classiccarsrule85- yes si headliner is hard to come by. but yeah so far i got 2 suggestions on rebuilding tranny myself.

thanks for your input guys. i got some more pictures today.
By imtyson
#213486 well today i woke up and went straight to DMV to get car transfered in my name. and so far so good. i will just have to figure out how to get rid of the check engine light. i got a new o2 sensor, but i dont know how to connect the wires. can you guys give me some input on this?? as far as fixing the car goes i fixed the hatch door that does down because it was showing on my cluster that it open. so i just got another hinge piece and installed. the speedo is still jumpy not sure why either. i have been doing research that the alternator might be bad. i might look into that and go to autozone to have the check it out. here are some pictures.Image
By Classiccarsrule85
#213491 Hate to say it but upon further looking at it well it seems a bit off first is that headliner all the civic ones ive seen eg at least are like this plasticy pleater substance not felt or cloth like yours. should be like the sunvisors...2 ive never seen so many handle grips but this im not as worried about as your sunroof......

Now as far as im concerned that seems to be an aftermarket sunroof

as there are tabs in the glass and that black box near where the motor would be so not sure about that....I wanted to make sure so i looked up the civic sunroof and this is how they look just clean no black tabs....

So i hate to say it i really dont think thats an SI but its up to the vin to see .....

If you can trace the wires to the shock towers i can tell you which is which as i traced a whole harness and well heres the link so just go to the shock tower where the O2 wires are and then go ahead and figure out whats up there i do beleive it should be the same....
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=12066
By imtyson
#213496 yeah im aware that it's not an si. oh well haha, but about the o2 senor you confused me hahah. do you want me to follow the o2 sensor wires back?
By Classiccarsrule85
#213500 Take a multimeter move it to the point where it makes a little beep noise when you have a circuit or connection and test the shock tower plugs of the harness see which color wire is which O2 wire and wire it up from there

The colors vary so thats why im suggesting the whole trace the wires back thing

02 Sensor plug
4 wires distributed evenly left to right top to bottom(from upper left)
1-Green/white
2-White
3-Orange/black
4-Yellow/black
By imtyson
#214138 so i did the check engine light thing i learned on "honda tech".
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
so far its throwing:
CODE 6. which is ECT - water temperature sensor.
CODE 10. which is IAT - intake air temperature sensor.
CODE 17 which is VSS - speed sensor.
lastly its throwing CODE 21 which is VTEC spool solenoid valve.

kinda weird that it didn't throw any code for the o2 sensor because its not wired up but the o2 is still in.

i was wondering why my temp gage stays all the way down and doesnt go up unless im at a stand still, but when my car is moving the gage does back all the way down. would the VSS speed sensor also cause the mph to up erratically? like i said before my VTEC kicks in only sometimes, im guessing this would be the spool solenoid??
By imtyson
#214139 classiccarsrule- would it be reasonable to wait out on the o2 sensor and fix all these other things because my ecu is not throwing any code that deals with the o2. because i might not know if this was the problem or not?
By imtyson
#214198 Image
By dbrooks
#214199 wow man. im real jealous because that looks like a great project. i have a sedan and its alright. i just realized that im going to make that "nice" then by a hatch to do work on. ill just daily drive my sedan.....maybe pick up some grocerys and whatnot. hahahaha

looks great already though :thumb: :thumb: and ive realized that posting on this site is one of the best things you can do for yourself when fixing your car. so much knowledge. keep us posted on all your shit man!
By imtyson
#214200 dont be jealous man lol. im sure your sedan looks as great as mine. im looking to pick up an ef or crx real soon for a daily so that i can fix the eg while i drive my daily to school and work, but so far i took apart the head liner and driver side pillar. ill take some pictures. :woot:
By Classiccarsrule85
imtyson wrote:so i did the check engine light thing i learned on "honda tech".
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
so far its throwing:
CODE 6. which is ECT - water temperature sensor.
CODE 10. which is IAT - intake air temperature sensor.
CODE 17 which is VSS - speed sensor.
lastly its throwing CODE 21 which is VTEC spool solenoid valve.

kinda weird that it didn't throw any code for the o2 sensor because its not wired up but the o2 is still in.

i was wondering why my temp gage stays all the way down and doesnt go up unless im at a stand still, but when my car is moving the gage does back all the way down. would the VSS speed sensor also cause the mph to up erratically? like i said before my VTEC kicks in only sometimes, im guessing this would be the spool solenoid??

Your temp guage sucks because it is also connected in with the O2 sensor i had the same problem on my car swapped the O2 and temp guage went right up.....

the VSS sensor would definately do this its probaly just worn you can swap with a d.series one if you cant locate a B--as i did the opposite swaped b in for d....

and id say that would be the problem as well with your vtec.....if your ecu says its malfunctioning more than likely it is....or it could be something worse....

I would try and wire up that O2 first because then you know what your temp is when your driving and you can make sure nothing bad happens to the motor i.e. overheat.....

Now looking at the intake on the engine which is im sure jdm which is more likely however either way the IAT sensor is not cut out nor tapped in this horrible pic it dose show the IAT (black on the runner that would be closest to the d.side

Also your engien temp sensor id swap out but wait until you wire up that O2 as that could be a reason why the ecu is reading a fault....
By imtyson
#214502 @classiccarsrule thanks man i should be gathering some parts in and when they come ill take pictures of the install.

i ran into a problem the other day because it was raining. as i got in my car i realized that there was water dripping from the driver side all across the top. as i inspected it, the door seems to be tilted down at an angle. the lowest hindge on the bottom that hold the door up has movement when i lift the car door up. when i close the door it doesnt look like it completely shuts all the way. there is gap running all the way through the top. which is where im assuming the water is coming through. i have done some research and numberous times i see the reply saying just tighten the hindge. im not really sure how this would help. seems like the pin is small or loose. :? :?