Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By TurboHatch
#87672 HOW TO MAKE A GSR CLUSTER LOOK FACTORY IN A EG
feel free to sticky this.
well after reading up on all the gsr cluster swaps i was very disappointed, seems no one could figure out a way to make it look factory, so i set out to do just that. The issue is the GSR cluster is fat at the top and the EG is fat at the bottom, so the main 2 ways people did the swap was to either hack the dash trim so that the GSR cluster could be zip tied in the dash hole as is and this made for a very ugly install, almost impossible to not have massive gaps and a odd angle of the gauges, well the second method i found was to install the GSR cluster with no clear plastic shield, this allowed you to not have to cut much of the EG dash but left the gauges exposed to the elements and still had some gaps where the EG clear shield used to mate to the dash bezel. so i decided to see if i couldnt do one better. Here is what i did.
so i took the stock EG cluster

then i took it apart.

and while i was at it i took the GSR cluster apart to.

i then trimmed out the face plates of both clusters, i forgot to take a pic of the EG one but i basically gutted the center out and on the GSR one i cut it like this.

then i made 2 little plastic filler plates for the gaps at the top.

and here it is mocked up with the gutted EG cluster surround, i sanded it with 1000 grit to get rid of the scratches it encountered when cutting it and then painted it glossy black as you can see.

One issue i ran into was the mileage reset button on the GSR cluster is in a different location then the EG, so i took the EGs metal push plunger and bent and cut it down like this and i drilled a hole in the center of the GSR reset button.

and here it is mocked up, it works perfect.

here i started epoxying the seam, the tape is just holding it until i get epoxy all the way around the seam

and more epoxy around the entire seam.

and to get it spaced right in the dash you need to cut off the white mounting tabs from the eg cluster and just glue them to the black ones like seen here being clamped until the glue dried.

and here it is the finished product, bolts right in using the stock mounts and dash bezel, has no gaps and looks like honda put it there from the factory.

I didnt take pics of all the spots i trimmed but its self explanatory as you go.

here is a great wire conversion chart http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1053318

and here is what it looks like in the car :)

here you can see it bolted right in using the stock screws.

and here it is with the dash bezel reinstalled.
By mistergou
#87723 looks pretty good! :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#87732 couldve sworn i saw this on another site....hondatech maybe or dseries.org....
By TurboHatch
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:couldve sworn i saw this on another site....hondatech maybe or dseries.org....

yes i originally posted this on D series. I used to rock the SOHC are you a active member there? I sold my d16z6 turbo CRX in order to have money for the EG :) I may have also posted in on HT but i try and avoid that site for the most part ;)
By Classiccarsrule85
#87737 yes i am an active member of dseries.org hondatech no i stay away from there as well just making sure you get your credit dont want some newb posting it n making us think they did it....
By Greasedmonkey
#87768 very nice DIY, this is what we need more of here!!
By boosted94
#87930 So i want one.
By TurboHatch
boosted94 wrote:So i want one.

so make one :) actually i was thinking of making another one to sell, but by the time i pay for a GSR and EG cluster and then put the work into it, it will end up being as expensive as some of those rare clusters you see going around now and then. but I might still make one and cross my fingers some one wants it bad enough.
By BLACKS' COUPE
TurboHatch wrote:
boosted94 wrote:So i want one.

so make one :) actually i was thinking of making another one to sell, but by the time i pay for a GSR and EG cluster and then put the work into it, it will end up being as expensive as some of those rare clusters you see going around now and then. but I might still make one and cross my fingers some one wants it bad enough.

well if you decide to make one extra, you dont have to cross your fingers cuz i got dibs on one if you do.. :thumb:
By DaAvgVTECGuy
#89846 bro... that shit looks beasty....... quick ques pm me.. what is the easiest way to take that clear cover off the cluster????
By RevinEK
#90176 thats sick dude :weee:
By LaMbErT*
RevinEK wrote:thats sick dude :weee:

x2 :thumb:
By 93EG
#99867 thats sick....how long did it take you to do the whole thing?
By 95CivEg
#100984 hell yea thats sick and looks clean as hell=P :cheers: