Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By Loaf31
#356004 Is there any way to change the mileage on my odometer? My car has 165K Miles on the engine and chassis, but since I swapped an ex cluster into my DX, the cluster that I have says 292,000 miles.
Is there any way I can change it? Let me know guys. thanks :D
By CopyLifted
#356006 That's why when you swap a tachless cluster for one with a tach, you also swap your old speedometer/odometer assembly into the new cluster.
By TrailerTrash
#356013 no worries just right down the milage and stick it in the glove box. then do a little math to determine the milage :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By CopyLifted
Loaf31 wrote:Lol I might do that :wink:
But Is there any way to crack open the cluster and change the numbers?

Yes. But it's illegal and a PITA.

I tried it with a broken speedometer once. While I did get it to change mileage, it wasn't what I was trying to change it to lol.
By TrailerTrash
#356159 im pretty sure it is illegal to tamper with an odometer period.

but i also think there is a way you can notify the proper people to inform them of the change and they note it somehow on the title. i could be 100% wrong on that
By suspendedHatch
#356838 It is technically illegal, but you're not doing it fraudulently if you're matching the correct mileage and you're not likely to ever get caught. I had to do this on mine because the original (wasn't even the original) cluster had a raised heat bubble on the gauge face and then later the thing died on me.
If you take it apart to do it as I did, you have to remove the needle to get the gauge face off. That screws up the calibration. It's very hard to get the needle back into the right place and have an "accurate" speed reading, if you can call it that because from the factory the speedo is off by 5-8mph depending on what part of the arc you're on. Shocking; I know- but try it. Download an app called Speedometer and check it out for yourself.
I managed to get my needle back to where it needs to be but it was a huge PITA, took many attempts, and wasn't very safe at times (think moving vehicle) so instead this is what I'll tell you:
You CAN change the numbers without taking it fully apart if you are very careful and patient. It's very tedious. I would get a spare odometer and do it and then swap it in to avoid down time or being rushed, and also because chances are high that you'll screw it up on your first try. There's no way to really explain it. You'll just have to look closely and figure it out. I'm not putting pics up on the internet because you know how that goes.
Pry out some wiggle space. Move a number into that space so it's de-latched from the number wheel beside it. Rotate it to the number you want, then move to the next. After you're done, push them all together again tight. GL