Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By CamperCarl
#349426 When I swapped my new motor in I noticed the coolant smelt like rotting fish and was brown. I remember hearing that the past owner used "Stop-Leak" to fix a gasket on the old motor. All said and done I had a new motor with a new thermostat. I noticed it was taking quite a bit of time to warm up, compared to the old motor. It also took forever to warm up on the inside too. So I read that I should change the thermostat. So I installed another new thermostat, thinking maybe the other one was garbage. I let the car warm up, I push the heat to the right as far as it goes, crank the fan and it blows cold air. If I drive the car aggressively for 10-15 minutes it starts blowing warm. After about 20-30 mins of driving it blows hot. The thermostat isn't leaking to my knowledge. A few times last winter my windshield froze over on the inside, with a layer of ice. I noticed recently fog has developed just on the lower half of my windshield when I leave it parked over night. It's not every night it does this just a few times a month.

I'm thinking that maybe that "stop-leak" crap settled in the heater core and blocked up a large majority of it. Except for some reason only now decided to do that. Maybe because I am running clean, none dirty 50/50 coolant it is just more efficient at staying cool? Maybe the thermostat is garbage (again)? Maybe it had a leak, but isn't making the floor wet inside?

Anyone have any knowledge of this kind of stuff? What do you think?
By brandoff88
#349433 id definitely make sure all your water passages and hoses are clear, also not a bad idea to pull the heater core and clean it out and take a look
By teal_dx
#349439 That stop leak stuff sounds nasty. I have never used it and wouldn't use it on a car I cared about. You could try flushing the entire system and see if it helps.

Did the engine warm up any faster (normal amount of time) after replacing the thermostat? If the car warms up as it should, and once warm you're still not getting hot air in your car, I suspect a clogged heater core.
By CamperCarl
#349480 After I replaced the thermostat it didn't change how fast the car warmed up. Nor did it change how fast the cabin warmed up. Yeah I think the heater core is filled with that crap. When I change it out I'll take the heater core apart, take pictures and make a nice write up about why you shouldn't use chemical solutions to fix leaks.