Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By hatch_wanna_b
#39145 Ok. So, I will say that the integra maplight install is one of the coolest and easiest things I have done yet.
First things first. Make the hole in your headliner for the maplight.
I took a piece of cardboard and traced the diameter of the back of the maplight with a marker then cut it out with a razor knife. Obviously, you dont want to trace the front of the maplight because its the back part that fits into the headliner.

After you have your cardboard template made, you can decide where to cut.
Honestly, its preference on where you want it to be, but take your time and measure so that it turns out straight and even no matter how much forward or back you decide to put it in the headliner.
Remember that its probably best to cut too small of a hole. You can always make it bigger.
Test fit the maplight a few times. It should fit really snug!

Time to run some wires. You will need 2 different wires. One for your constant power and one for your ground since the maplight grounds itself to the roof support in the Integra. But, in a hatch that won't work. Now, you could drop the headliner, cut your hole, and run your wires down the A-piller and into the fusebox or something, but really thats more work than is necessary and it isn't half as clean. So I decided to splice into the dome light's circuit. You'll use alot less wire and its way easier to know what you are tapping into.

For those of you who don't know how to take the domelight apart, you just pop the plastic cover off and take out the one screw holding it to the roof.

Now that you have 2 open holes in your headliner to pass wire through,
find a coat-hanger (a wire one, stupid! Not plastic! :chair: haha). Straighten it out.
This is what you will use to pass the wires through the hole you made, under the headliner and to the hole where the domelight goes.

Pass the 2 lengths of wire (make sure you pass through more than enough) through the maplight hole to the domelight hole.
Untape the wires from the hanger and pull the hanger out.

Now, time to wire this bitch up!
On the domelight, you have one wire going to it. Thats your constant power. Its like a white w/ red striped wire. And it gounds itself to the car by that one screw that holds the domelight to the roof.
You need to splice one of the wires you ran into the domelights constant power. You can see my finger on the wire you need to splice into.

Next, you need to put a connector, that will go onto the grounding screw, on the other wire you ran. Make sure it fit onto that screw good.
Sorry the picture is blurry.

Now, put your domelight back together.

You are almost done!
Hopefully, when you pulled the maplight out whatever Integra you did, you were smart enought to cut out the plug too. If not, no big deal.
As you can see, you need to connect the wire that you spliced into the domelight's constant power, to the plug on the maplight. The ground wire you ran needs to be split so you can ground both both lights in the maplight.
Use some small connectors to fit into the female-ended spades where the maplight grounds.
Now it should light up both lights on the maplight.
Great success!!!! :cheers:
And it looks like it was always there! :thumb:
By hatch_wanna_b
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:looks good!
shame it doesnt work with sunroof cars.

:(

It can. Just have to run the constant power and ground to the under dash fuse box. Easy as that!
By LowTEC-Derbo
hatch_wanna_b wrote:

It can. Just have to run the constant power and ground to the under dash fuse box. Easy as that!

no.. its due to space clearance for the sunroof motor :thumbdown:
By hatch_wanna_b
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:
hatch_wanna_b wrote:

Ahhh I see. That sucks. Oh well. Upgrade to a hatch! :P
By Gorveatt
hatch_wanna_b wrote:
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:
hatch_wanna_b wrote:

Ahhh I see. That sucks. Oh well. Upgrade to a hatch! :P

but if he got an Si he would have a sunroof :p ... personally though i would rather a sunroof the the light lol. I miss my old moon roof i had in my corolla
By hatch_wanna_b
Gorveatt wrote:but if he got an Si he would have a sunroof :p ... personally though i would rather a sunroof the the light lol. I miss my old moon roof i had in my corolla

Sunroofs = less rigidity. but they are awesome. My moms 04 EX has one and its so awesome to have during the summer.
By Gorveatt
hatch_wanna_b wrote:
Gorveatt wrote:but if he got an Si he would have a sunroof :p ... personally though i would rather a sunroof the the light lol. I miss my old moon roof i had in my corolla

Sunroofs = less rigidity. but they are awesome. My moms 04 EX has one and its so awesome to have during the summer.

even in the winter to just crack it open half an inch to let some air flow and not freeze your ass off...
By LowTEC-Derbo
hatch_wanna_b wrote:

how is it less rigid?

its just has more weight on top of the car making the center of gravity higher . The hole is still a round square so it has good strength. Most people dont want sunroofs because of weight on the top of the car.
By Greasedmonkey
#39221 I love my sunroof. Thats why I got my hatch.
By hatch_wanna_b
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:how is it less rigid?

its just has more weight on top of the car making the center of gravity higher . The hole is still a round square so it has good strength. Most people dont want sunroofs because of weight on the top of the car.

Its the same concept as with convertible cars. The roof reinforcement thats present in my car, isn't there in your's since you have a hole there instead. It may be a small difference that nobody's concerned about, but its there lol. :?
By york62
hatch_wanna_b wrote:
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:how is it less rigid?

Its the same concept as with convertible cars. The roof reinforcement thats present in my car, isn't there in your's since you have a hole there instead. It may be a small difference that nobody's concerned about, but its there lol. :?

but that hole is filled with glass, i think it would be just as string as a stock roof, i could see if it was a T roof or convertible.

i love my sunroof, its bitchin!!
By yashep
#39276 Besides, the roof is a just a piece of thin sheet metal, and the reinforcements that it has running from one side of the roof to the other may not make much difference. maybe it allows just a bit more flex but not much. :?

I saw this DIY on the other forum and I like it, I couldn't do it because of my sunroof and just bought the gay vanity visor light, it works tho
By CivicTypeR
#39280 Having a sunroof is personal opinion. I personaly like them for summer, the only difference in having a sunroof is weight, but to be fair you wont gain alot from having one. Most track cars dont have them because of fitment for roll cages, or because it's a weakness in the roof structor if the car was to roll.

Loving the DIY guide. :thumb: