Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By egsedanguy
#341404 Ok i have decided I want to learn how to start doing upholstery. I did a few sewing classes a few years ago. now i want to broden my skills. So for all you guys/girls that do this what would be a good starting machine? I perfer one that will do multipal layers and heavy materials like leather. also with reverse stitch. and affordable. I dont want new but rather a used machine. and under 200$. :D let me if yall got info :thumb:
By egsedanguy
Graham wrote:Pretty sure ones that are strong enough to sew leather are industrial spec and mega money

yea i know that. i found plenty of used ones but unsure what features i need. there is so many types out there. i have seen brand new ones go for 4k plus but thats major stuff. I only need somthing for personal use.
By Phoenix288
#341437 I don't think you can get a good one that holds up for that kind job with just $200.

My mom is a clothes designer and she had some catalogs laying around. I don't know about used ones but new with a good stitching program and enough power to do leather work will start at around 650 bucks.

By the way, you don't need a different machine to do leather work but a different needle or so I'm told.

Anyways, it would be best to first go to an upholstery shop and ask what would be best for a beginner, they might say different.
By egsedanguy
#341448 [quote="Phoenix288"]I don't think you can get a good one that holds up for that kind job with just $200.

My mom is a clothes designer and she had some catalogs laying around. I don't know about used ones but new with a good stitching program and enough power to do leather work will start at around 650 bucks.

By the way, you don't need a different machine to do leather work but a different needle or so I'm told.

Anyways, it would be best to first go to an upholstery shop and ask what would be best for a beginner, they might say different.[/quote

well i found a few new ones that will go threw leather and multiple layers. So to be honest as long as it goes threw multiple layers and has rev. i can make do. I found a few used also and yes they are industial style belt driven. under 200$ I just need to know what one to look for. thanks for help/info :thumb:
By ndn001
#341452 The "Brother" brand is pretty good. Like others said, I think the needle will be the deciding factor.
By egsedanguy
ndn001 wrote:The "Brother" brand is pretty good. Like others said, I think the needle will be the deciding factor.

Well yea the needle does but those can be changed. but as i said befor there are so many type out there its not funny. just type in sewing machine on an ebay search. lot more than just a needle. diff patterns, stich per min, even the size of the pullys make a diff. just dont wanna throw money at one and not work good. but i also dont wanna get one for to much and end up ditching the thing. guess ill call some shops or ask a few people i know that do it. 8)
By MG6
#347153 try looking into Singer 15-91. i'm going to be putting them to usage for the EG when i have time.