Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By dingles9
#335594 This is only free if you have material, which I got from the scrap pile from work.

I used a 5" by 1.5" wide round piece of aluminum

[img Image

[/img Image

Then I put it on the mill. Used a 3/8" mill bit to smooth it out. Could use a grinder, but again I had the resources so I used them

[img Image

I designed a shift pattern on it to kind of customize it. Used a 1/2" bit. Also I made the reverse slot over 1/8" wider to distinguish a pattern.

[/img Image

Now I got the basic shape of any shift knob. So I drilled out the bottom hole to .344" drillbit. That is the correct size for a m10x1.5 tap. It's best to do it on a lathe so its perfectly centered, which is what I did

[img Image

Just a quick polish with sand paper and scotch brite pad to see what I got.

[/img Image

Now let's get to the lathe. My favorite part. Just took it down nice and slow. Take your time here

[img Image

Once your happy with the shape, hack it off. Cut mine lower to leave room to round it off.

[/img Image

Once I cut it I realised it wasn't drilled out deep enough. So I had to drill it out more. I worried about putting marks in it from the vise so I put 'fish paper' between them.

[img Image

Tap it with a m10x1.5 tap (standard Honda thread)

[/img Image

Quick polish again and you're done! Then test fit on car, and enjoy!

[img Image

[/img Image

This is the first thing I ever made for a car. I never used a lathe either. So its not the greatest but it was fun and definitely a learning experience. Did this to show you don't need to buy everything, can reuse things laying around to make something one off.
By nd1983
#335605 i've done something similar with a chunk of wood.
By dingles9
nd1983 wrote:i've done something similar with a chunk of wood.

Wanted to do that but I was afraid it would break somehow
By nd1983
dingles9 wrote:

go slow and don't cut too much at once. i'm thinking i may do a 3rd one similar to yours, but not until i do a custom boot first
By dingles9
nd1983 wrote:
dingles9 wrote:

go slow and don't cut too much at once. i'm thinking i may do a 3rd one similar to yours, but not until i do a custom boot first

you'll have to post pics :thumb: