Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By Insyte
#332814 Hi guys,

I've recently bought a 1995 blue Honda Civic EG4 GLI model (Australian)
and i wanted to update my interior by painting it black like Robster did in

civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=18698&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the actual steps to painting the interior because i've been searching around for a guide and everyone seems to say something different.

Is it all you need to do is:

Clean the interior with grease and wax remover
then spray primer dupli primer on it
and then the colour of your choice?
then a clear coat?

or do you need to sort of sand the interior down lightly then spray primer and then the colour of your choice?

planning on using Dupli-Colour Flat black
By rustyrex
#332815 This is what I do when I paint interior plastics and it has always worked well:
1. Clean parts with Dawn dish soap and water. I mix about 2 teaspoons with 5 gallons of water in a bucket and scrub every inch of the piece from and back with a scrub brush. I use a nail brush. I use Dawn because it is the exact soap they use to clean the animals from a oil spill. Then dry the parts well. Either blow with air or air dry over night.

2. I wear gloves and wipe every inch of the piece with a clean lint free towel and isopropyl alcohol. It dries really fastand removes and last bits of grease or soap that might be left. Then I blow it off real compressed air using a real lower pressure.

3. I only use Krylon Fusion paint. It is specifically made to bond to plastics of all kinds without using a primer or even a adhesion promoter.

4. I spray a really light coat of the color I want the plastic to be as the first coat. I do this because it will give the other coats something to bite onto. Also it will show any fish eyes that I might have missed. I mean a really light coat too. Light enough to the post that the piece looks dusty. Then let that coat dry, roughly 10-15 minutes.

5. I spray a second coat. I look for about 50-75% coverage. Then set it aside again for about 10-15 minutes again. Depending on the weather it could take longer, but it needs to be dry to the touch.

6. Spray a third and final coat getting 100% coverage. At this point the color is completely changed and I set it on a shelf for a minimum of 7 days. That is the only draw back of the Krylon paint. It takes a minimum of 7 days to cure. But after that it is really durable. I have a 6 year old and he throws all kinds of toys around in my hatch and the paint has held up perfectly. This is the method I have used for years with all kinds of colors. And the good thing is if for some reason the panel does get scuffed or scratched all you have to do is grab a can of the same paint and spray light coats onto the damage to fix it. There is no prep work needed to the surrounding area.
By TrailerTrash
#332821 i second the use of Krylon Fusion!

i used it on my center console, arm rest, glove box, and one of the vents like 2 years ago and its just in the last few months started to wear off the arm rest. and i rest my arm on it pretty much constantly. everywhere else has held up great and not faded one bit

use the flat black. i tried the satin and its way too glossy
By rustyrex
#332822 I agree with using a flat color. The satin is shiny like using a crap ton of armour all. I made the mistake if using gloss black on a dashboard once. When the sun hit it it gave off a horrible amount of glare onto the windshield
By Insyte
#332847 Oh cheers Rustyrex for the steps!!

But for the cleaning the surface could I use just any wax and grease remover instead of dawn dish soap? don't know if i can get it here in australia. There is a very limited range of supply over here, its kind of depressing. have to import the krylon fusion flat black paint from over east in australia....

and for the isopropyl alcohol. I should be able to use compressed air in a can?
By Insyte
#332848 How many cans of Krylon Fusion paint do you reckon i would need to do the whole interior?
By gtstripes
#332851 Where abouts in aus are you from? If your close to Canberra I can give you a hand,

I used VHT vinyl paint 4 years ago and still holds up perfect! Just make sure u clean clean clean!!
By Insyte
#332852 In perth.
So hard to find parts and cars over here compared to Melbourne and sydney
By gtstripes
#332853 Oooooh Perth, yeah must be a pain due to everything being in Sydney.. Post some interior pics :woot:
By Insyte
#332854 Yeah I will after my exams :P

Dude Just skimmed through your page on your car, like
what you did especially to the rims, changing them to white (Y)
By rustyrex
#332858 Wax and grease remover will work fine. The reason I use Dawn is it makes a lot of soap suds that I can scrub into the grain of the vinyl or plastic. Yeah I use cans of air if I don't wanna grab my compressor hose.
By gtstripes
Insyte wrote:Yeah I will after my exams :P

Dude Just skimmed through your page on your car, like
what you did especially to the rims, changing them to white (Y)

thanks man but unfortunantly i sold them for 600 bux haha getting some crazy dished wheels hehe!!