Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By mitch6
#298792 (NOTE: I am not to blame for any mistakes or problems that may occur during anyones installation, please be mature about your actions!)

I recently purchased two front DC2 type R black Recaro front seats and the rear DC2 seats to go with it. I knew the top portion of the rear DC2 seats will be a direct fit into my eg, however the DC2 rear bottom bench left a 2-3 inch gap in-between the bench and top portion of the seats.

seen here:

So I decided on three possible solutions:

1. Buy some DB8 rear seats or somehow luck out and only buy the bottom bench (most likely have to buy the whole set :thumbdown: ) which will cost anywhere from $400 - $500. Too much money!!

2. Make my own cushion by wrapping some foam in recaro fabric and place it in-between the gap.

3. Make some new hole in the frame of the car and let the seats sit further back. (The solution I am doing, or have done :thumb: )

So first things first is to remove the rear seats. Sorry no pics of removing the top portions of the seats... But each top piece basically slides out from the middle and pull out from the plastic wall closer to the speakers. (Pretty simple, sure most of you can or have done it before?)

Then we work with taking out the rear bottom bench you simply lift from the back towards you and take out all the seat belt connectors. Then lift towards yourself and pull up and out.

Should look something like this afterwards:

As you can see, the EG hatch rear bottom bench is longer by about an inch and also sits up higher than the DC2 bottom bench. This is what creates the big gap between the top and bottom portion of the rear seats.

Install the top portion of the DC2 rear seats, opposite way of removing lol

heres how it looks:

Now for the tools we will need!

1. Spray adhesive:

Bought it at Canadian Tire for $10

2. A Dremel kit with a thin disk blade

3. Safety Glasses (protect your eyes from sparks and debris 8) )

4. Duck Tape!

First thing we will do is apply some Duck Tape to the very edge of the carpet, about 1/4 of an inch into the carpet. Just very small amount of carpet will be attached to the tape. DO NOT TAPE TO THE FRAME OF THE CAR YET! We are just preparing the tape first! Next we will spray some adhesive onto the inside portion of the carpet and onto the metal area it will be laid ontop of. Then tape it to the frame of the car as far up as you can without creating tension in the carpet (stretching it).

Here is how it should look:

(I know same pic, but you can see the tape :thumb: )

Now take a look at the two holes the hangers came out of, and we want to cut out two new holes each being about two inches down from where the hole starts. Cut each hole to be about 0.5 inches tall.

(Sorry I had it all finished before I decided to make a DIY :? )

Other side:

(Cut to big, my measurement was off...)

Now that both holes are cut we can place the bottom bench in :)

Line the bottom bench up as far back towards the top portion of the rear seats and start pushing through all the seat belt connectors. Then slip the two hangers into the new holes you have made, this will require quite a bit of effort because there will be more tension applied to seat as it is sitting back much further.

Once you have them in, should look like this:

GAP IS REDUCED!!!!!

However, in the two top corners of the bottom bench of the rear seats (corners closer to the top portion of the rear seats, back rests) lack some foam. They are not cushioned as much as the middle, so what I will be doing and recommend you do is add some extra foam or padding to each top corner of the rear bottom bench just for other peoples comfort :thumb:

Fronts :thumb:

Then enjoy the sick looking seats!!!
Last edited by mitch6 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Classiccarsrule85
#298805 thats actually a pretty sweet idea surprized no one has thought of it yet and it definitely looks better then a towel in the middle great write up
By Hatch-O-Doom
#298831 Very nice man!
What did you use the Spray Adhesive for? or did I miss that?
By mitch6
Hatch-O-Doom wrote:Very nice man!
What did you use the Spray Adhesive for? or did I miss that?

Yea I did not take a picture of where I applied it because I already finished the job before making this DIY :?

Because these seats sit further back to cover the gap, the old holes where the hangers slide into are useless, so there is nothing holing the carpet in place. So I sprayed between the carpet and the metal frame of the car where the carpet will rest with the spray adhesive. Then to secure it more, I taped it down as well afterwards.
By mitch6
#298839 thanks man!

Haha, yea gotta do what you gotta do to save some money :thumb:

Sure the DB8 Bottoms look much better, but cost around $500, not worth it in my opinion :lol:
By Punksz6
#298934 Nice Diy! :thumb:
By mitch6
teal_dx wrote:Image

Put down some black duct tape instead of silver and it won't even be noticeable to the untrained eye :thumb:

haha yea that would be much better, used what I had at the moment :lol: