Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By dogfight
#29205 Ok here it goes. this is probably the first DIY i have ever done.

What is this JDM key?

These were one of the crazy modifications frequent with crazy drifters and racers in Japan

I did this out of boredom since I am home on a Friday night (thanks CRIS for reminding me about those keys and giving me an idea how this was pulled off)

So i decided to just do it.

Here's what you need

1 small screwdriver (you can get them at any hardware)
1 car key (preferably a duplicate with a plastic head, you will throw that head away anyway.)

1 gas stove
2 pairs of pliers (you will be using this the whole time.)

Here are the 2.

Use the pliers to hold the screwdriver up the stove, in my case i just decided to hold it bare handed since i did not want to scratch the screw driver handle.

How would know if you were doing the right thing? Just until the screwdriver glows a faint red, you will notice the handle to smoke quite a bit (careful! it is quite hot too.)

Once it smokes a little get the pliers and grab the screwdriver bit and pull it out.

Don't worry you will be able to pull it out.

Here it is removed.

Next up is the car key, since we are using the duplicate, no need to worry about destroying your original car key.

You can do this like how we pulled the driver bit off but i decided to just burn the plastic key head off since it will be worthless after the DIY. Make sure you hold the key's metal part using your pliers.

After all the plastic have burned off and melted try to remove the burnt plastic using a second set of pliers. make sure you strip it clean.

Here comes the tricky part.

Since we now have the handle and the key separated already, we need to merge the 2.

Since you still have the key held by the pliers heat it again on the stove a little bit longer until it reaches the faint red glow.

When it gets red hot, get the screwdriver handle and merge it with the key, make you have it centered and gently place it in, once you have it centered. Run it over cold running water for it to cool down.

Here's how it looked like after.

Key engaged.

Yeah I know you won't be able to use your keychain anymore, you can still use it though. I still have to drill some holes into the handle so that i can place a metal strap on it to still use the keychains.

Still looks a little bit rough, i still have to clean it up. I will add a picture after I sand it down a bit.

Thank you
Come again!
By Macca
#29219 hahaha thats amazing :D
By lip_vtec
#29235 hah i like that , sorta matches the kinda place where i live lol
the old screwdriver in the ignition and bang you have yourself a stolen honda civic, now go have sum joyriding fun haha
By york62
#29250 haha i saw these somewhere before, i think it was in honda tuning! I will defentaly be doing this!! And you could still use a key chain, just go buy a small eye hook...(i think thats what there called, and do the same precess on the other end, then hood up your keychain!
By ohDirka
lip_vtec wrote:hah i like that , sorta matches the kinda place where i live lol
the old screwdriver in the ignition and bang you have yourself a stolen honda civic, now go have sum joyriding fun haha

bwahahahaha good write up man...I want to do the s2k push button start with this. I think it'd look tight
By Greasedmonkey
#29289 i have never seen nor heard of this JDM drifting key thing....its kinda neat.
By L4urenZ
#30091 i love it, something to do next sunday ^^
By whitedxi
L4urenZ wrote:i love it, something to do next sunday ^^

and? did it work??

:lol:
By yashep
#32303 It look cool, I wouldn't do it tho, it just be another reason for the cops to pull me over. It's getting old now, every car that has a certain "look", as they say, "is a car that might be involve in some kind of criminal activity especially honda with young dudes inside". :hehe: They don't know any better.
In the second pic, is that a rock on top of the stove? :lol:
By Split_second
yashep wrote:It look cool, I wouldn't do it tho, it just be another reason for the cops to pull me over. It's getting old now, every car that has a certain "look", as they say, "is a car that might be involve in some kind of criminal activity especially honda with young dudes inside". :hehe: They don't know any better.
In the second pic, is that a rock on top of the stove? :lol:

true true
By a_CoUpE
#35838 i love that i think imma try it! looks kinda like your stealing the car lol
By sqsi
#35840 I would do it out side with a torch, not over my stove LOL