Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By ejc
#259115 After searching through numerous posts on various sites, I could not find a post on installing an aftermarket steering wheel while keeping the horn and cruise control and turning the SRS light off on the dash. Now don't get me wrong, I found plenty off posts but they were not all encompassing. This is my contribution to the site. I hope it helps someone. I got alot of the information from this site (http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm). Mine just piggybacks on top of it. I wanted to keep the SRS wiring because everything ties into it (horn, cruise, SRS). After removing the steering wheel (I'm sure this has been covered before and associated spiral cable).
So lets start with the 6 pin connector under the steering column This is what the spiral cable attaches to. Looks like this and as you can see it has 6 pins and they are numbered.

[img][img]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk10/strombon/IMGP0001-2.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by ejc on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ejc
#259118 The voltages looked something like this at ignition on and off (I'm not sure how to post a pdf file so here are the links)

http://www.mediafire.com/?uakvf8wwddtm1yy

based on the voltages, I came up with a diagram

http://www.mediafire.com/?ya75icb5bra3lin

If anyone knows how to imbed PDF's, let me know. Anyways, I replaced the 6 pin connector with parts available at Radio Shack

Since I didn't have the proper crimper, I soldered the connections. I also used these bottons for the cruise control

Image[/img]
By ejc
#259124 When put together it comes out looking like this. The red wires on the connector end hold the 2.2 ohm resister that connects between pins 1 and 3. I bought mine assembled, but it would be just as easy to buy a 2 ohm resister and solder it in.

The buttons ended up looking like this. Hole for each button is 1/2"

By ejc
#259127 Last part is the horn. I looked at a 91 civic and found a part:
Honda Part 35259-SH3-A02Genuine Honda SHOE, HORN (TEC)

I cut off the end and slipped a connector on

and this is what it looks like installed. Used a Momo hub and it makes contact great

By ejc
#259128 Last one. This is the finished product. Horn works fine, but not sure about the cruise control. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Hope this helps someone. If you have any questions, just PM me and I will help out in any way I can.

By dbrooks
#259129 nice write up!
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#290501 so i should be getting my quick release today via UPS...and i would like to turn my SRS light off but wut wires do i connect to the 2ohm resistor? 1 and 3??...then wut do i do with wire 2 ..just let it sit there?? im not so great at reading wire diagrams..

and i dont plan on keeping my cruise control...so all i have to do for the horn is extend wire 6??..only reason i ask is because i now the horn is attached to the cruise control buttons..and if they are not plugged in there is no horn

sorry for all the questions....

great write up by the way!! :thumb: :thumb:
By ejc
1-low-92-EG-Sedan wrote:so i should be getting my quick release today via UPS...and i would like to turn my SRS light off but wut wires do i connect to the 2ohm resistor? 1 and 3??...then wut do i do with wire 2 ..just let it sit there?? im not so great at reading wire diagrams..

and i dont plan on keeping my cruise control...so all i have to do for the horn is extend wire 6??..only reason i ask is because i now the horn is attached to the cruise control buttons..and if they are not plugged in there is no horn

sorry for all the questions....

great write up by the way!! :thumb: :thumb:

It's been a bit since I did this and I believe connecting pins 1 and 3 will turn off the SRS light and using just pin 6 will work for the horn. It has 12V on it. When you press the horn button it connects the 12V to ground and you get sound.
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#291006 yea i did the horn already and works fine...but i still havent gotten around to doing the srs light...i cant find a 2ohm resistor any where....radio shack sucks.... :thumbdown:

but this thread did help alot thanks