Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By keith_b03
#242179 my 95 ej1 got broken into the other night but i caught the skinny little mexican guy in the act and the cops came and he got arrested thankfully lol. but anyways this asshole ripped open my steering collumn and now my ignition is this little white piece that hangs down and you can start it up with any key you want......... :x

i was jus wonderin if any of you guys knew how much it would cost to get this repaired back to normal??

cause now my car can be stolen in like 5 seconds and thats horrible
By Classiccarsrule85
#242197 id suggest going to a parts yard getting another steering column with keys maybe get all teh locks as welland change everything its really quite simple to change the locks the steering column would be my biggest thing this happened to i think it was GreasedMonkey or something but yea id jsut replace the whole column because who knows something else may have gotten busted .....
By keith_b03
#242279 yeah i can install the new key sillanoid or whatever its called im jus worried about getting the whole thing fixed seems like its gonna be exspensive getting a new steering column
By cjw_89
#242287 I've seen busted ignitions before they are held onto the column by 2 rivets. Remove those rivets and your ignition is out. Trick is getting the rivets out from a donor ignition and then the re install. I believe the ignition casting is threaded. Your best bet is to go to a scrap yard locate a coupe or hatch or sedan or sol what ever it is and switch out your ignition truck lock door locks instead of juggling a few keys. Best of luck my friend ;)
By keith_b03
#242289 seems like a lot of work that i dont wanna deal with at all.....fuck civic thieves!!!
By Classiccarsrule85
#242291 it isnt too bad if you can cut a slit in the middle of the rivets you can use a flat head and pop them out to make switching them easier also the ignition has two plugs which just in case the bastard busted that white peice just unplug and replace.....

i wonder if your insurance would help?
By cjw_89
#242309 great idea^^ but how much torque is on those? You could always use a chisel to cut them off and replace the threaded rivets with a security key bolts.A torx with a hole in the middle of it,just for future thieves to curse over you lol.. I love newfoundland. This rarely NEVER happens. Lots of drunks like anywhere though. Dicks!
By 92_eghatch
#242320 yeah...i'm nervous about having my car look nice where i live. i have to park in the street in front of my house. it sucks. cars driving by super close...cars throwing mud on your car... :x

gonna have to buy a car cover lmao. i have a long time before i have my car looking good though...

anyway... hope you get your car taken car of, sucks! this sort of thing happened a lot where i lived in FL. i had a GSR sitting in my driveway while i was working on it. little rats would come around all the time eye balling it. creeping by my house. people stopping by asking if i wanted to sell it. needless to say, my garage was emptied and the car was shoved in ASAP lol.
By 94EJ2
#242345 the "rivets" are actually tamper proof bolts that you can buy new bolts not sure on the torqe on them but you just tighten them till the head snaps off if you look at the old ones you can tell where the heads used to be attached

they look something like this new
By 92_eghatch
#242346 basicly doesnt have a torque spec if you think about it.
By keith_b03
#242393 can you buy those rivets brand new somewhere? or do you gotta find em a salvage yard?

yeah and where i live at stealing civics is like the new cool thing to do or somethin i hear about people getting there hatches and coupes stolen and stripped at least once a week it seems like. and i always got the crack heads wlkin by eyeballin the shit outta my car.
By cjw_89
94EJ2 wrote:the "rivets" are actually tamper proof bolts that you can buy new bolts not sure on the torqe on them but you just tighten them till the head snaps off if you look at the old ones you can tell where the heads used to be attached

they look something like this new

Wow you learn comething new every day.. Never knew that something like that existed,though i did know they were threaded in.. Cool!!