Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By chrono404
#213580 Took the dash out of the Sedan for some maintenance and prepping the daily for Winter Use. Figured I would take pics and make a DIY of Removal.

Tools Needed:
Ratchet(I Used 3/8")
Extension(I Used a 6" Extension)
10MM Socket
12mm Socket
Phillips Screw Driver
Plyers (To unconnect wire loom connectors)
Extra Person to help(starts @ step 10)

Step 1:
On both ends of the Dash is this end cap, use the end of a pocket knife or a screw drive to open it up, just slide it in and a slight press in pushed out the cover

Step 2:
That leaves this. Take your Ratchet and 10MM Socket and remove this bolt on Driver and Passenger Sides

Step 3:
On the big vent by the window, Push in a Pocket Knife into the window side of the vent, a slight push in then pushing towards the glass will pop the side of the vent up, just move along the top then pull it out with your hang and your onto the next step

Step 4:
Once the Vent is removed, a very well hidden 10mm is waiting.

Step 5:
Open the Glove box and look in on Passenger Side, You will Notice these two bolts.

Take the green one out but leave the red/orange one in.

Step 6:
Remove your Center Console (2 screws or 12 Screws depending if you have the stock or optional one) and then you will find these two bolts. The Green one is obvous but the red one on the side needs to come out as well.

while your here, Use your plyers to press down the tabs on the brown wire loom connector and push it out. This will save you from having to do it with the dash out.

Steo 7:
Time to get the Steering wheel out of the way so you can remove the dash.

Remove the 3 screws. and then pull down then set the cover aside for now.

Step 8:
The two 12mm bolts here need to come out so the steering wheel can lay down

Step 9:
2 12mm bolts hold the steering wheel to the dash. they need to come out.

Step 10:
Pull Down on the steering wheel and it will come down as shown. You will want a second person to help remove the dash, go get them now.

Have both people pull the dash up and straight back

Step 11:
There will be lots of wires to undo. 3 connectors on driver side + the ground, 2 on passender, and multiple in the middle. In the middle towards passenger side there will be a the cable for the heater control, you need to unloop it from the heater box and un clip it,

Step 12: After everythings disconnected Pull the Dash out on of the doors and then set it down and get ready for whatever other project you where going to do. Be it installing alarm, Fixing broken panels, heater controls, etc...

Installation is reverse of removal. Dont forget to put the ground on the the steering column. If you dont put it on then none of the accessories, clock, radio, etc wont work.

This took me about 30mins to do it, However I have done it before as well. Give your self more time to do it if its the first time diving in. I finished my project and had everything back together in about an hour and half including a break before the dash back in.
By Classiccarsrule85
#213617 nice write up good pictures as well dont forget tho the one 100 hideing near the hood release just the opposite side of the glove box bolt....

+ 1 for doing something everyone else has been talking about but have been either to lazy or busy to actually do lol good initiative
By Adrian91
#213684 nice :D .... i might do this, or just be lazy and not do it. Ill let you know how it goes
By kross
#213759 omg thanx a million for this, i was having a mess trying to get it out and had everything in pieces lol.
By deschlong
#213789 Thanks a ton for this. I'll be needing to do this at some point so knowing where to look is half the battle. Cheers. 8)
By Ajax1989
#216545 what if you have airbags??

dont you gotta disconnect the battery?? and let it sit for a lil bit??
By kingjmack
94_jdm_ferio wrote:what if you have airbags??

dont you gotta disconnect the battery?? and let it sit for a lil bit??

I disconnected my battery before I removed my dash and no problems with the airbag. There were two bolts under the airbag that I had to remove for my dash to come out. Also, I had to unhook a cable running to the Hvac.
By Eg6H2D
#223370 :thumb:

damn that easy huh? is this the best way to get to the climate control bulbs?..
By goblin
#223388 nice write up.. :woot: compile this up and make a color civic shop manual...
By HAFIL0_EG
#248007 awesome write up :thumb: came in handy retrimming the grey dash which is black now :woot: the process was simpler than i thought, the only hassle was the heater controls :x
By familyEGuy23
#254405 Nice write up chrono very informative helps out a lot :thumb: I'm currently removing dash and looking at this write up. I'm at step 11 and my steering column didn't drop all the way down as shown in the picture is this going to be a problem or should I keep going? :?
By chrono404
familyEGuy23 wrote:Nice write up chrono very informative helps out a lot :thumb: I'm currently removing dash and looking at this write up. I'm at step 11 and my steering column didn't drop all the way down as shown in the picture is this going to be a problem or should I keep going? :?

Everytime i have taken a dash out. the steering wheel was that low. If it doesn't go down with a little motivation then double check everything was removed and nothing obvous is stopping it from going down.

I have always have to had the seat in the fartest back position for it to get back. depending on model you might need to take out your seat.

Sorry for the late reply, even more so as its not that helpful. if you have pics of where its catching we might be able to help.
By ceelx
#255311 good work :thumb: i always removed stering wheel if must take off dash, but now... thanks :thumb:
By kingjmack
chrono404 wrote:Everytime i have taken a dash out. the steering wheel was that low. If it doesn't go down with a little motivation then double check everything was removed and nothing obvous is stopping it from going down.

I have always have to had the seat in the fartest back position for it to get back. depending on model you might need to take out your seat.

Sorry for the late reply, even more so as its not that helpful. if you have pics of where its catching we might be able to help.

I also move the seat all the way back to get the wheel to lay down in the floor. Pics would let us help you more.