Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By JDUBB025
#199435 I have a 93 EG8 and my speedometer is not functioning... I already swapped the speed senor in hopes that would be it but of course it's not. The needle moves but usually backwards and it hops around at times. I figure that a new gauge cluster is the route to go from here. I have been lookin' at different clusters and noticed that I could possibly have a tach with the AT gear display as well. Yes it is a slush box, that is a whole other project (maybe) lol. What I am wondering is if I can simply plug and play on a different cluster than I have. Mine has no tach just speed, temp, and fuel gauges. I am thinkin there may be an issue and I am wondering if anyone has done that swap and could help me out?
By JDUBB025
#199439 Excellent so even though the there isn't a tach on my currnet gauge cluster the new cluster with tach will be entirely functional with out any modifications necessary? It seems like I would be short on wires since I don't have a tach on my cluster now? I am sorry i have had some friends tell me it wouldn't work and I would be better off getting an external tach, but I want the clean look the cluster will provide.
By JDUBB025
#202609 excellent thanks soo much guys I will get right to it :thumb:
By BlueVic_8354
#205421 all wirings of the gauge panel are the same whether it have tach or not... i guess honda didn't want to arrange different sets of wiring for the gauge cluster and other stuff... so relatively a gauge with a tach is the only missing link to your puzzle... hope you get one right away.... cheers...
By BlueVic_8354
#205422 all wirings of the gauge panel are the same whether it have tach or not... i guess honda didn't want to arrange different sets of wiring for the gauge cluster and other stuff... so relatively a gauge with a tach is the only missing link to your puzzle... hope you get one right away.... cheers...
By chewse
#205469 my speedo doesn't work either..according to my mechanic the problem is with " a sensor located in the transmission" can anyone shed any light on this
By chilango41
#205470 The vss.
It's right on top of the transmission, it has a plug with like 3-4 cables. 2 bolts are holding it down, just use a 10 and some extensions and then just wiggle it out.
By JDUBB025
#205779 Yeah it is located right on top of the transmission you may want to remove your intake tubing it makes it easier to get to it is almost directly underneath the coolant bypass hose, at least that is the location on the automatic trans. I replaced mine and it didn't solve my issue mine is actually the gage cluster that is stripped out where sometimes it works and sometimes it runs in reverse lol and I imagine it isnt accurate even when it seems to be work. I would replace it first regardless. I imagine your EG is well used much like many other 5th gens. 8)
By chewse
#205801 the tach and other gauges work perfectly..its only the speedo..does this still mean that the prob maybe with the cluster more than the vss? and how can u tell that the vss is faulty? also u guys were spot on i was able to locate it but haven't attempted to remove it and my trannyy is auto
By VerLee24
#205854 when my speedo stopped working it was the cluster not the vss. for what its worth...
By JDUBB025
#206113 I would agree trying another civics cluster if possible is a good idea. Now if you can't barrow one and have to buy one to try it I would say try the VSS. They aren't very expensive and you can put your mind at ease on that sensor. To remove it I believe there are just two fasteners and there is a pin that connects the sensor to the key way in the top of the tranny be sure you dont lose it and check to see if there is any damage to the pin of the surrounding rotating parts in the sensor and the top of the trans. I hope this helps. All my gauges worked besides the speedo as well although i didn't have a tach but they are seperately controlled. If the vss dosn't solve the issue than you know that it is the actual gauge itself. Gauges can be a little pricey especially if you want to take the opportunity to upgrade to JDM Cluster. 8)