Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By Mr Rattles
#177727 Hello all

so i want to change to gear lever but not sure if i can DIY it

how easy is it to take the shifter out and put a new 1 in ?

thanks
By Classiccarsrule85
#177781 depends really its actually quite a simple task as long as no one previously fucked with it.....

quick over veiw...

12mm bolt and nut i think holding the shifter arm to the shifter (this arm you dont need to remove fully just unhook from shifter this is the arm of the so called bitch pin)

i think its eitehr 2 12mm's or 2 14mm's near the shifter itself going from the bottom thru a metal peice and bushing into the car....

and a 12mm to unhook the stabalizer bar and then you can remove that assembly so its easier to work on outside the car.....

Since unless its been altered it will need 2 10mm bolts removed from 2 bolts holding it in there....you may need vice grips or plyers to hold it once you get it loose enough....and then you can remove the retaining plate and pop out the shifter

(I would highly recommend switching out your bushings for energy suspension polyurethane ones since you have it all apart anyhow just pop the stok bushings off and replace with new easy simple and 100x's better than stock....)

hope this helps its so very simple and upon reinserting the shifter be careful to get it thru the boot since you could pop a hole thru it you can remove your center console to make this easier but to be honest you really dont need to....
By Mr Rattles
#177924 ahh thanks bru

okay im trying to picture it in my head

so you so i gotta get under the car :(
By ikon
#177940 oh yes....... greasy time.
By Mr Rattles
ikon wrote:oh yes....... greasy time.

lol wonder if my gf will be able to do it for me
By Classiccarsrule85
#178015 you could go and find someone with either a lift or a pittid be easier i guess if you have physical problems that wont allow you to get underneath it....

but if you dont have any physical problems then id say screw it get a jack jack stand and tools and have fun
By Mr Rattles
#178661 lol nah i dont have Physical problems haha

managed to get a few stands this weekend so i should be able to change the shifter soon

thanks bru