I'm sure the locals will come up with a catchy description for their forum...
By teal_dx
#83320 A co-worker who's husband grew up in the UK is telling us that TV's back in the day had a coin slot on the TV and you put change in to watch a show. Because of this there was no cable bill like we have in the US.

True or BS? I already looked on google for any images of a TV with a coin slot and didn't see anything.

You may want to turn 'safe search' on before doing an image search for "coin slot" though :hehe:
By sdots
#86748 lol BS. we had the same technology as the u.s if not better? it was expensive enough to buy a t.v never mind putting more money into it
By vtec_gloucester
#86771 TRUE!

mostly get them in council house, the slums, ghetto. lol

the local council will give the less well off familys a nice brand new TV for free... well not so free when you have to put money into the side of the TV to watch it.

my friend actually has one.
By b16.uk
#86808 TRUE! guys
By vtec_gloucester
ilmcrx wrote:
vtec_gloucester wrote:my friend actually has one.

PICS we need proof

i'll see what i can do.... she is gunna think im weird taking pics of her TV. lmao :lol:
By BLACKS' COUPE
#86861 what the f*$#... That would suck if you have to put money into your own tv to watch it. yet alone buying a nice looking one. Then again i dont see the point of having the money slot on the side of the TV, What do you do when it tops of with money? you dont get to see tv? I have to see this to beleive it. :D
By vtec_gloucester
#86865 you get given the TV for free by the local council but to be able to watch it you have to put money into it... off the top of my head £1 will get you about 3 hours worth.

some one who works for the council goes round once a week to empty the money.

i'll work on getting a pic for you guys but she has just moved house so i dont know if they still have the "pay as you watch" TV any more.
By CivicTypeR
#86906 The Council in the UK has a coin slot on everything. If they had their own way they would charge you to breath.

Not sure how it works in the US, but over here EVERYONE has to pay EVERY YEAR for a TV licence if you own a TV (£139.50 Per Year). The reason for it is the BBC.
I find completely fucked up is how the world gets BBC channels and they don't have to pay... What's up with that? No offence but it's just BS, another UK law which makes no sence. Cum shot in the eye for you Gordon Brown. :jerkbow:
By Gorveatt
#86936 That would be the most annoying thing ever, put in some coins to watch TV, then half way through boom, shuts off...
By Mayhem_Audio
#87142 Image
Last edited by Mayhem_Audio on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By EG-IOW
#87148 i need to see a tv with a coin slot. cant believe it :shock:
By vtec_gloucester
Mayhem_Audio wrote:http://animiko.0catch.com/Japan/100_1221.jpg

there you go... he found a pic.

same pricible as my mates tv, apart from my mates is a modern wide screen.

still working on getting a pic though, aint been able to get hold of her.
By Mayhem_Audio
#87471 Image