Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Australia and everything inbetween
By kapow
#266215 You dont need to get an engineering certificate for an engine thats within 15% of the engine capacity, so in this case for a standard 1.6L conversion to a 1.8L the max you can go up to is 1828.5cc, you only need a blue slip which is $20

I made this because I learned from my mistake. I wanted an engine swap to replace my d15b7, I thought a b18c7 exceeded the 15% limit rule which would need an engineer certificate (real expensive) so instead I bought a B16a, and now i'm kicking myself.

NOTE:
- This info is for NSW, may apply for other states but check with your local RTA website first.
- If your engine swap does exceed 15% in displacement, (eg. B20, K20, K24) you will need an engineers certificate, upgraded brakes, and emissions tests
- Engineer certificates for larger engines range from $400-$600 depending on how many mods etc
- Blue slip is $20-$25

ALTERNATIVES:
- For states which this rule doesn't apply, you can install B18 rods/pistons/crank in a B16B block, so you can have all the glory of a B18C7 with the engine stamp of a B16B.

- Proceed with your desired engine swap, when it comes registration time, do it straight away. If you go further then 2 weeks after registration expired, a blue slip is required (which involves checking engine numbers) Note this step is not the proper way, RTA doesn't know about your engine swap and insurance will void if you do crash