General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By jdmpipedreamd16
#117856 ok quick question i have a b16a gsr trans with lsd and i was given a cluch masters 8lbs. fly wheel im not sure if i wanna install it or just sell it so i guess waht im asking is what are the pros/cons about it?? if any one knows just let me know thanks!!!
By teal_dx
#117866 8 lb is light for a daily driver, especially if you do a lot of traffic/city driving. You'll be needing to give it more gas from a stop and you'll notice that you'll need more gas when going up hills.

Your engine will rev faster with the 8 lb flywheel which can be fun. But it will also loose rpm faster in between shifts. Unless you are always shifting fast, you may want to slightly blip the throttle to bump the rpm back into range before shifting into the next gear.

I have an 8 lb coupled with a sprung 6 puck on my D16 and this is what I have experienced. (The 6 puck makes your clutch engagement pretty close to an on/off switch)

It's fun and my car isn't a daily driver, but still requires some extra attention and coordination at the same time. If I was going to do it again, I'd probably go with 12 lbs. From everything I've read, 12 lbs seems to be the magic number for civic flywheels.
By JUICE
#117916 i got a JUN 9lb chromoly w/exedy stage 2..... i DD it and LOVE it. i can take off nice and smooth. dont understand why people say you gotta throttle it more from stop or uphills? guess i just dont notice it.... definitely made my car feel quicker, never quarter miled with the stock but she chirps 4th at the track with it.... throw it in, you'll like it.
By teal_dx
#117926 lighter flywheels carry less inertia than stock ones which means it takes more to get them moving and more to keep them moving under a heavy load (such as up hill)
But for steady driving, a lighter flywheel will free up power and even increase MPG slightly.
Once you've got it moving, it's less energy required to keep it going at that speed.
By jdmpipedreamd16
#118008 thanks guys i think im gonna go with a 12 lbs cause it is my dd and i have a 3 year old rideding with me so 12 it is