General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Shinepdx
#114273 OK first off let me say I am a noob when it comes to transmission stuff. But here is the issue my clutch pedal seemed to grab just barely off the floor. But tonight when I started my car in neutral pressed the clutch and was unable to put it in any gear like I wasn't pressing the clutch far enough even though it is on the floor. So I turned the car off and was able to shift with the car off. So I tried to start it in first with my foot on the clutch and the car started to drive like I let the clutch go.
Is there some way I can adjust the clutch so it engages farther off the floor or am I looking at a different issue.
By VegasCivic
#114274 Sounds like your slave cylinder is going bad
By flyinryan122
#114276 were you driving when this happened?

I had this EXACT problem, but i was doing some freeway pulls (turbo sohc 9psi and a bit of over revving), and one of the springs on the clutch broke and destroyed the clutch. Plan on pulling the trans and probably replacing the clutch, if you grab a haynes manual you'll find this is not a hard thing to do.
By Shinepdx
#114279 no the car was running fine I parked it in the driveway watched a basketball game on TV and then went back out after it was over and had this problem. The Transmission was just replaced because the old one was grinding when it want into third and a new clutch installed. How much of a pain is the slave cylinder to replace/rebuild
By flyinryan122
#114282 Mine was just fine until i was taking an exit and pulled it out of gear while slowing down. From then on it wouldn't work. and the clutch i had was also new. only had a few hundred miles on it.
By VegasCivic
#114290 Try pumping the clutch 10 or so times and then if everything seems normal. It's definatlythe slave. Easy as taking it off and putting another one on. :thumb:
By rflindy89
#114294 Slave X3 had this problem in my old whip

Good Luck
By Shinepdx
#114297 I hope its something simple the slave cylinder doesn't sound to bad
By Shinepdx
#114391 ok update:
So today I went out and started it up again after pumping the clutch a few times and it worked fine. I went up and down my driveway a few times, then took it out on the road for a about a mile trip and had no problems. :woot:

I am about to go take it on a mini road trip and test it out so more, I will probably take it in next week one way or another and have it looked at just to be sure though
By VegasCivic
#114393 It will slowly get worse. Mine was so bad before I replaced it I would have to go into neutral between every gear and pump it a few times...

Just make sure you have another person with you so you can bleed the line. You bleed them just like a brake line. Pump it up and twist the nut open and closed to release the pressure.
By Classiccarsrule85
Shinepdx wrote:ok update:
So today I went out and started it up again after pumping the clutch a few times and it worked fine. I went up and down my driveway a few times, then took it out on the road for a about a mile trip and had no problems. :woot:

I am about to go take it on a mini road trip and test it out so more, I will probably take it in next week one way or another and have it looked at just to be sure though

id bleed your clutch first and also check behind the dash where the clutch is for any leakage....