General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By BLaCkSiLo
#106835 hey guys,

i'm going to pull my tranny out this weekend to hopefully replace the input shaft and/or mainshaft bearing because i read the DIY and have a groaning/roaring noise coming from the tranny...

question is, what else might i need in the process? all my synchros seem fine but 2nd gear is a little sloppy and no 3rd gear grind.
should i just purchase the ISB and MSB before i break open the case, i just don't want to not have the parts i need..

sorry, sounds kind of incomplete but i'm tired, thanks for the help

*EDIT
what about the throwout bearing? it makes slightly less noise when i push in the clutch at idle....

James
By chrono404
#106969 When you have everything open you might as well replace the throw out bearing.

You will also want some sealer to make a gasket with.
By BLaCkSiLo
chrono404 wrote:When you have everything open you might as well replace the throw out bearing.

You will also want some sealer to make a gasket with.

i just got a new TOB with my clutch like 8 months ago... but i will replace that as well.

so i'm pulling open my tranny tomorrow but it has developed new issues where when you take off below 2k rpm in first gear, it shutters the entire car and makes it rattle and sounds god awful. 2nd gear is the same way, if you shift at low rpm and accelerate at all, it's a violent shaking action.

3rd - 5th gear *seem* to be fine, when i accelerate on the freeway, i have no issues with 3rd gear, it pulls normal with no additional noise to the ISB. What should i be looking for? this is kind of like an all of a sudden thing, no ROMPING on the engine, no track, no racing some punk or anything.

i know i'm leaving something out, but chrono, i need your help on this one, there is *NO* grinds of any sort, all gears go in and out with ease, has Honda Genuine MTF fluid and no leaks. Oh, and one more additional note is that reverse makes virtually no noise at all and this is how i ruled out my clutch, i hit it hard in reverse and no slippage or grinding or new noise.

thanks for any quick reply!
By VegasCivic
#109824 Sounds like your slave cylinder is going out. :? Reason it doesnt happen in other gears is enough pressure is built, and less stress because everything is already spinning.
By BLaCkSiLo
VegasCivic wrote:Sounds like your slave cylinder is going out. :? Reason it doesnt happen in other gears is enough pressure is built, and less stress because everything is already spinning.

hmmm... i will have to check that out as well, but doesn't explain the reverse being fine? (from a dead stop) it's grab really good like a stage 1 should.

don't i have to breech the system anyway when taking out the tranny?
By chrono404
#109830 Sounds like your Main input shaft bearing is getting really shot.

3-4, and 5-R Gear shifters are on the Counter Shaft. 1-2 are on the Main Input Shaft.

You have been driving on bad Main Input shaft bearings for a while. Its very possible the bearings are now totally shot and giving room to move around thus the bucking/shuttering. Driving on the bad bearings could have caused other bearings to go bad now.

When you take everything apart, You should check out everything on the main input shaft. You should check out all the carriage bearings on the shaft. Make sure everything feels good.

I Highly Doubt that its a Slave Cylinder.
By BLaCkSiLo
#109844 awesome, thanks for the fast reply, i will try and see if any of my local honda dealers have those bearings. I'm assuming i should get both the bottom and upper bearings seeings how i probably messed them both up.

i looked up your part numbers for the ISB and it said invalid, and i can't distinguish which bearing is which on the diagrams from slhondaparts.com. do you have the part number by chance? if not i guess i can ask the service counter dude which probably won't know what i'm talking about.

thanks again man, i will post some pics later and let you know what i find :headscratch:
By chrono404
#109848 D16z6 EX Transmission Replacement Honda Parts numbers:

Main Input Shaft:
18581 - Oil Seal
18576 - Ball Bearing (26x58x15) - Replacement Lower Bearing
18801 - BEARING, ANGULAR BALL (NTN CORP.) - Replacement Upper Bearing

Counter Shaft:
18574 - Oil Guide
18578 - BEARING, NEEDLE (30X55X21) (NTN CORP.) - Replacement Lower Bearing
18836 - BEARING, BALL (25X52X14/15) (NTN) - Replacement Upper Bearing

I would personally replace all these parts. The Oilguide on the counter shaft still might be okay. Not all of these bearings might be bad. However with the descriptions you give I would replace them with new ones. Your transmission doesn't sound to be to healthy atm.

p.s. Majestic Honda is awesome for getting part numbers. :thumb:
Its what I always use.
By BLaCkSiLo
chrono404 wrote:Your transmission doesn't sound to be to healthy atm.

ha, that's an understatement :hehe:

but thanks for those, and i checked out majestic honda, pretty sweet site....
By BLaCkSiLo
#110030 alright, so i busted open the case today, bought an ISB this morning, found out that it ended up being the main shaft housing bearing, it was pretty well shot

*No. 12 here in this pic.

so i can't do anything until monday and buy that part but my question is there is 2 shims that go on the main shaft that touch the ISB when brought together, number 10 and/or 11 in the above picture. There is one that is silver in color and a black one with an oval/cone shape. do they go together or separated by something?

i tried with the exploded view but it seems that the reverse gear now rubs on the arm that actuates it... should this be free and clear?

all of the syncros, the gear sets, and all countershaft bearings looked and seemed good, the needle bearings in the housing were good to go, is there anything else i should get at honda?
thanks for the help, anyone
By chrono404
#110031 If all the other bearings seam good then you should just need to replace the 1 bearing. And the 2 shims go together so they Main input shaft bearing and 1st gear are not rubbing.

:thumb:
By BLaCkSiLo
#110032 dude, thanks....you kick ass :thumb:

i'm excited to get that back together and put back in, should be a lot quieter now, it just tripped me up because i thought there was only 1 shim but another must have fell off while i was gone. does the conical shaped one do anything special or go a certain way?

also...i got 5 stitches today cause i sliced my forearm on the bellhousing taking out that Hex Bolt on the clutch side that holds the forks :thumbdown: watch that little guy lol
By chrono404
#110041 Lol Thanks. Always glad to help :thumb:

The Conical one is meant to act as a spring. Make sure the Conical side points towards the main input shaft bearing and the shim ontop of it.
It will work either way, however thats how OEM Honda has it. Heck it will work with 2 shims, However Honda puts the Conical "Spring washer" there for a Reason.

Damn, Sorry to hear about your arm, That sucks. Hex/Alan wrenches suck. I got some Hex tips that go on any 3/8" Ratchet. I got it at Harbor Freight, Awesome Stuff. Helps loads when taking apart struts and taking out that hex bolt on the Transmission. Put an extension on it and you don't have to worry about Hex/Alan wrenches.
By BLaCkSiLo
#110680 well thanks again for your help, it was these little guys that were causing all that pesky noise...

man i might go to harbor freight (or sears lol) and pick up some hex keys in ratchet form, might be worth it...luckily my dad is a doctor and was helping me with this very bolt, saw me cut myself and got his tools and stitched me up at his house and i continued working :thumb: