General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By ikon
#105741 before i reattach my tranny, i wanna make sure after i lower the right shift fork, i should be alright to just reattch it right. before i left all in nuetral and the transmission was always in gear. just double checkin cuz this is my dd and i dont wanna have to pull the tranny off again.
By Dippin_EG
#105776 Cant really understand what your sayin right now, but if the trans is in nuetral, or in gear, it should go in fine and not stay in gear. if it stays in gear.... something is probably wrong with the trans. just make sure everything is right and you shouldnt have any problems.... dont know if this helps or not... kinda drunk... 8)
By chrono404
#105811 Once the transmission is all put together, before you put it in your car use a Screw Driver and put it through the hole in where your shift linkage connects to. Push it in/out of all the gears and make sure it works. Also make sure the input shaft spins correctly before installing everything back into place. :thumb:
By ikon
#105813 im just confused on whether or not the shift forks should have first gear engaged or all gears in nutral and lined up before i put it all together. if your looking at the forks from the dif side, should they all be lined up or should the far right fork be pushed all the way down?

A. [3] [2] B. [3] [2] [1] C. [2] [1]
[1] or or [3]

-diagram A is what the diy says but when i install it like that nothing moves. this is after the main and counter shafts have been lowered down.so i think it should go in like diagram B.
By ikon
#105815 :x :x shit the margins changed and f'd up my graph :x
By chrono404
#105818 Image

should look like "First gear engaged"

Make sure the 3-4 and the 5-R Shift Forks are in the middle and not engaged in a gear. If there is more then 1 gear engaged you wont be able to shift gears.
By ikon
#105822 but when i try nd put it like the graph says the first gear fork wont lower so everything jams. isnt the first gear fork the one on the left though, cuz the fork ur saying needs to go down is the reverse idler pulley fork.
By chrono404
#105824 Having like the graph makes it the easiest(for me anyways) to get the shift knuckle into the shift forks. it should also be noted that the piece around the shift fork, the piece that keeps the other gears in neutral when in a gear should also be pointed up.

I have another D Series transmission I need to put together soon, I really need to take quality photos step by step as its gets put together. Make a better DIY out of it, I have been meaning to do this for a while.
By ikon
#105827 sry man but where im lost is when i place the knucle in the far right fork, the fork wont go down and evrything wont move. i have the interlock on the same level as the knuckle.
By ikon
#105920 well i found ot that i bent my interlock because i didnt align it when i tightened down the interlock guide bolt. this wouldnt allow the knuckle to lower. im goin to press out the bend and try again. ill keep u posted.
By chrono404
ikon wrote:well i found ot that i bent my interlock because i didnt align it when i tightened down the interlock guide bolt. this wouldnt allow the knuckle to lower. im goin to press out the bend and try again. ill keep u posted.

I did that accidentally once. Be careful when you bend it back, When i bent mine back I bent it to far, Took me a while on the vice to get that where it looked like it should, Thats even with another one from my bucket o' tranny parts as a template.

Good luck :thumb: