General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By thecrow
#104313 i have a 1997 del sol s with a d16y7 engine and my clutch is starting to slip. i need to know all the parts that i would need in order to put a new clutch in. im a newbie on the trans subject. so a list of just the parts i would need would be great :thumb:
By marvinp8700
#104314 clutch

and while you are doing it change the throw out bearing and pressure plate
By d-mon
#104321 also you should replace the pilot bearing and re-surface your flywheel.
By thecrow
#104799 anyone recommend any clutch kit? a whole kit sounds like the way to go
By teal_dx
#104872 I hear a lot about ACT & action being good performance replacements. exedy makes great oem replacements. I went with an xtd which I've read good and bad about, so far mine had been good.

Looking back, I would have bought an ACT just for the piece of mind so I wouldn't even have to think about my clutch failing - because what a PITA to replace if it happens.
By dionisis
#104916 ACT clutch and pressure plate,the perfect combo! :D worth its money,and also can be driven in traffic (not like 6puk clutch which is leg punisher)
By suspendedHatch
#104954 "Kit" just means it comes with the little plastic clutch alignment tool. You need that if you're doing this yourself. You also need the correct sockets. It's something like a 12mm 12 point socket; check the manual. And a torque wrench is critical.

I got an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and 11lb flywheel. I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than that. And if this is strictly a street car, I would just resurface the factory flywheel.

People go way overboard with their clutch and flywheel. You don't need some crazy clutch that can handle a ton of power and some super lightweight flywheel. You're going to hate driving the car afterward. OEM replacements are fine for the amount of power 90% of us will see.
By thecrow
#105006 yeah, the car is my daily. just a cai and a headerback. I want the most reliable clutch i can get. nothing crazy performance. im thinking going with a oem replacement like you guys said
By thecrow
#105168 Also where did you guys buy your kit at? I dont really want to deal with anything shady