General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Matt.M
#101299 Well I know what engine I'm getting, and now I have to figure out what tranny. I do travel a lot, sometimes 1500-2000 miles in one trip, since I set up Lowe's Hardware stores and they have them opening in Alaska, Canada, and Mexico now....so I don't want to be killed by a GSR tranny.

I've read that a LS tranny gets better mileage, but no real top end, where the GSR is more for the top end. So I was thinking....is there any way to change just the 5th gear out of a GSR to put it in my tranny for the b20vtec?
By teal_dx
#101487 I've seen custom builds from mixing gears in D series, so it can be done on your B. Just keep in mind that you'll have more of an rpm gap between 4th and 5th if you just swap 5th's.
By Matt.M
teal_dx wrote:I've seen custom builds from mixing gears in D series, so it can be done on your B. Just keep in mind that you'll have more of an rpm gap between 4th and 5th if you just swap 5th's.

Well I've never raced in a 4 cylinder car but I'd guess that in most races I won't even need 5th gear? I'll be driving on the highway in 5th, so where would it really matter about a gap?
By chrono404
#101516 You will have a big gap from 4th to 5th. Much more then the scynchro will be able to cover, You will have to double clutch every time you go into 5th gear or you will grind gears.

Just something to keep in mind.
By Matt.M
chrono404 wrote:You will have a big gap from 4th to 5th. Much more then the scynchro will be able to cover, You will have to double clutch every time you go into 5th gear or you will grind gears.

Just something to keep in mind.

Oh, dang. I'm sure I could get used to it, but there's always the chance of forgetting when I'm in a rush and I don't want to mess up a tranny because of it.

How much would it have helped fuel economy anyways while driving in the 5th gear?