General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By suspendedHatch
#94697 On my Integra sometimes the shifter doesn't want to go into 1st. If people are behind me in the intersection I end up taking off in 2nd. 3rd gear I always sort of hold it down as it takes longer to go in. Other times reverse gives me the same trouble as 1st. What causes this? It's a brand new clutch. Fresh Honda MTF...
By chrono404
#94701 I have had similar issues in the cold. If it wont go into first I pull the shifter into second then back up to first and it always goes. Same thing with reverse.

Only happens when its cold outside though.
By Sentry
#94704 Reverse isn't synchronized so it's normal that it's tough to engage.

Check shift linkage and hydro system.
By Gorveatt
#94774 I find it hard to go into 1st unless your almost to a complete stop, like below 10kph. but if you're stopped there shouldn't be any problems. maybe a bad syncro :thumbdown:
By teal_dx
#94807 My 96 hx does the same, only when it is cold out.
I don't know the cause, I'd guess there might be some tolerances that are out of spec in the transmission. Usually if I tap the gas and blip the rpm's to 1500 or so it will go right in, or I shift into 3rd first then it goes right into 1st gear.
I have 5w30 or 10w30 in that tranny, not sure if switching to Honda MTF would help or not.
By jmsplitfyre
#94825 Same here, it's hard specially if it's like -10 or lower outside.. Hard to get into reverse sometimes too.. GM synchromesh? :?
By ohDirka
#94880 My civic did it, my crx did it and so does my Corolla. The corolla is not really exposed to cold weather but I've always just released the clutch and pushed it back in and it usually goes into gear.
By hondajunkee
teal_dx wrote: I shift into 3rd first then it goes right into 1st gear.

my coupe did the same thing and i did what Brian did, any time at a stop id put it in 4th then go to first. its gotten to be a habit, i find myself still doing it in my bimmer and hatch now
By suspendedHatch
#95528 It does it consistently whether it's hot or cold.

Putting it in another gear doesn't help.

I'm going to try replacing the rear engine mount.
By moisesdgreat
#191490 same problem here, still trying to figure it out esp. in the 1st gear. hope somebody here finds the answer.
By Yahya
#191493 i've had 2 civics and they did the same thing both, check your master and slave cylinders, (specially master, the one connected to your pedal) my civic had that greasy oil all over the place when i checked it out, i killed my gearbox by waiting to long to fix this. :\
By forcefedEG
suspendedHatch wrote:I'm going to try replacing the rear engine mount.

that probally wouldnt hurt either.... how are you stabilizer bushings in the linkage? im jw? it could be in your hydraulic system like satated above... i def. check the master cylinder though...
By Eg6H2D
#191688 It sounds like the problem is in the shift fork assembly or 1st/2nd synchro sleeve. I would think this type of problem will jump out and bite you when you get the transmission open.
By asianrob
#191689 old thread!!... but too much fluid in the trans? it could swell up gears making it hard to shift.
By Eg6H2D
asianrob wrote:old thread!!... but too much fluid in the trans? it could swell up gears making it hard to shift.

Really? 1st ive heard of gears swelling..