General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By xswingkidx
#92828 I was told by a fellow car builder that a b series shifter will fit in a D series shift linkage if you grind down the extra mass that the bolt goes through and then swap the D series shifter bearing, bushing or whatever it is that is inside of it. Has anyone done this? If it works I'm going to be putting an ITR shifter in my civic next weekend.
By asianrob
#92831 i dont think you need to grind anything down i remember my friend doing a B-series shifter in his civic, i do know you have to change out the bushing for sure.. but i'm not sure about the grinding part... but yes its been done plenty of times.
By xswingkidx
DC4rob wrote:i dont think you need to grind anything down i remember my friend doing a B-series shifter in his civic, i do know you have to change out the bushing for sure.. but i'm not sure about the grinding part... but yes its been done plenty of times.

Thanks. I had an ITR shifter for my crx with D linkage and it didn't fit at all so I assumed that the 92-95 was the same.
By Dippin_EG
#92839 where the shifter connects to the linkage might need to be groud down. the dc ports short shifter i have had a little add-on piece for the b-series linkage because its wider... i cant remember if i switched any bushings other then the ball holder bushing ill try to get a pic or 2 soon. :D
By xswingkidx
Dippin_EG wrote:where the shifter connects to the linkage might need to be groud down. the dc ports short shifter i have had a little add-on piece for the b-series linkage because its wider... i cant remember if i switched any bushings other then the ball holder bushing ill try to get a pic or 2 soon. :D

Yeah, that is the part i was talking about having to grind down.
By Dippin_EG
#92852 Image

It would probably be wise to change all the bushings on second thought :thumb:
It should work though
By LowTEC-Derbo
#92940 D series shifters have a shorter base than B series. You will be required to grind. I highly doubt the difference in length from the fulcrum of a b series shifter is significant enough to be used in a D series. Skunk2 has a great short shifter that works very well. :)
By xswingkidx
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:D series shifters have a shorter base than B series. You will be required to grind. I highly doubt the difference in length from the fulcrum of a b series shifter is significant enough to be used in a D series. Skunk2 has a great short shifter that works very well. :)

I agree that the Skunk2 shifter is indeed a quality product and probably the best route to go. However, the ITR shifter I'm getting is free and I haven't figured out how to convince someone to donate a Skunk2 shifter to my car just yet. Therefore, I will be grinding the ITR one to fit :)
By xswingkidx
#105128 After a few months I finally got the time to do this little project. I took a lot longer than I had originally anticipated due to feeling the effects of jet lag more than usual but I was able to successfully modify a short shifter from a B series to fit my D series linkage. I had to remove roughly 3/8" of material from the base for it to fit the linkage in case anyone is interested in doing this. The short throw feels a lot more natural to me and the shift points are perfect.

ps. Don't mind the dirty car. I washed it afterwards.