General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By CaliEJ2
#89149 i recently did my swap and used a s40 tranny, my passenger side axle went in just fine but the driver side wont go all the way in and its leaking alot of oil and fast! :x i got a new axle and still the same. do i need to get an axle from like a 96 or should the one i have right now go right in? maybe its the tranny that's bad? :?
By Classiccarsrule85
#89151 well if its not going in even if you really give it a good pop then there may be something stopping it from going in all the way my guess the seal around the hole for the half shaft has a spring in the back that may have popped out or something but it should pop in with some good thrusts.....about how far dose it go in ? if there is like a 1/4" gap well a small gap but not as small as the one that went in all ready then you should be ok your just not popping hard enough....
By SOHCivegra
#89190 The rings that "POP" in are notorious for being hard to go if there is and stress on them (up and down). Meaning they should be straight ahead to get them in easy.
One way to find out is to make sure the base of the CV shaft is touching the trans seal. You and get a small piece of wood and place it at the out edge of the inner portion of the CV and give it a good whack with a hammer and it should go in all the way.
By 95projektvic
#89191 i had a hard time getting my driver side axle in.....my honda tech told me to give it a COUPLE good whacks with a hammer and it should go in but be sure to not mushroom the end.
By SOHCivegra
#89238 I found it goes in easier if you dont try to hit it from the HUB end.
The CV portion that enters the trans is the best place I found to hit it.
Thats where you would place the piece of wood, the you can just smack the wood without damaging the shaft or the boot.
By CaliEJ2
#89371 i checked if anything was in the way but nothing. i tried to put the axle in the old tranny and it went in like nothing. it almost goes all the way in thats why i didnt notice the problem. i tried to force it in real hard by hand but im gna try giving it a few wacks like u guys said. dam.... good thing i didnt go with Honda MTF first
By CaliEJ2
#89994 well i gave it a few hard whacks but it still didnt go in. im starting to believe that its the trannny. any suggestions?
By SOHCivegra
#90008 Wow, I can honestly say I have never heard of this. Going from an S20 to an S40 trans shouldn't be anything hard.

And you did say that the flat part after the splines on the shaft is not touching or very close to touching the seal, correct? I know i am at a loss. If it is touching the seal, the seal it self could be bad (torn).

Anyone else want to pipe in here and maybe toss something in that I missed.
By 95projektvic
#90016 i wonder if getting the axle for that specific tranny would make a difference if not....maybe there is a kink on the inside of the tranny keeping it form going in?
By SOHCivegra
95projektvic wrote:i wonder if getting the axle for that specific tranny would make a difference if not....maybe there is a kink on the inside of the tranny keeping it form going in?

I could have sworn they were the same, Cali you should pm Chrono404. He is our resident trans guru. He may have a little more insight on this.
By CaliEJ2
#92612 yea the axles are the same..so i think i found the problem. when i first got the tranny it didnt have the seal and i didnt notice until i put the axle in and it started leaking. so i put the seal from my dx tranny, it slowed down the leaking but its still losing oil. and its kinda hard getting the seal all nice and even, i think i ripped it a bit too. oh, and if theres no oil in the tranny, how long does it take the f**k up?
By SOHCivegra
#92692 In regards to the point of not being able to get the seal in evenly. Take your 32MM CV socket and use a small hammer to pound it into place. This should be just the right size to go around the edge of the seal. I used it and never ripped anything.
Try that and you should be golden broham.

I agree with Teal, DO NOT DRIVE that thing without oil. You will be so pissed in about and hour when it starts to get stuck in gear and sound like someone threw a bag full of bearings into your case.