General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By CaliEJ2
#87533 ok so im doing my first swap ever and i was taking my motor out, i had a problem with taking the passenger side axle and i had no idea how to take it off sooooo i broke the metal strip on the boot by the tranny to take it off and it came off but so did some bearings. theres only a small tear on the boot but am i going to have to get a new axle?
By spiritR
#87547 just get a new one since you got it out lready that tear will jus get bigger and soon you'll have to change it anyways.
By Dippin_EG
#87567 it sounds like the some needle bearings fell out. if you can find them all your best bet would be to rebuild the axle. boots with tears in them lead to trouble.the next thing you know you will have grease slung all over the wheel and wheel well. the engine. but if you cant find them i would say get a new axle.
By teal_dx
#87578 even if you found them, there's probably some dirt inside now. by the time you buy a new boot and put everything back together, it's easier to buy a new axle. I think it's $80 from autozone w/ a lifetime warranty.
By CaliEJ2
#87655 yea i was talking to my buddys about it and they told me to just get a new one. Oh and i noticed that the boot by the wheel was ripped and got my rim a greasy :thumbdown: i felt stupid when i found out how to take it off the right way the next day. so far thats the only thing that ive done wrong that i know of. but yea ill be buying a new one cuz i dont want to run into more problems later on. thanx for the help guys