General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By CivicGurl08
#86637 Hi, im new here and my mom has given me her old civic dx 4 door and im having some issues with the transmission.

It just started not wanting to go into reverse. And sometimes when its cold, it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd gear. :x i really want to figure out the cheapest way to going about fixing this problem, but im not sure why or what is causing it. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks
By blockustomz
#86638 the tranny is gone.. but if u wanna give it a shot do a trany fuild flush.. might help. but it sounds like shes giving up.
By CivicGurl08
teal_dx wrote:did you check the fluid?

yes, checked the level and its all up to par. im not sure of the service record on her car so im sure it has to do with bad fluid. I didnt notice any metal shavings or any burnt smell of the fluid but i did notice the color. Isnt it suppose to be red? its a light color red, not dark, so im guessing its old. How much does a regualr flush and fill cost about. Im on a budget :(
By CivicGurl08
#86648 is this something that could be done by me or a friend? what do i need to know to change the fluid out. Am i gonna need to pull the pan, replace the seal and filter?
By teal_dx
#86649 red is normal, lighter means it is not as dirty as if it was dark red. So that's good. There's a drain plug on the tranny, it's not hard at all to do yourself.
By CivicGurl08
#86651 how many quarts go into the tranny? And im getting fluid from honda. So all you do is drain and refill, not filter to replace? and where is the drain plug? Sorry for all the questions, ive never worked on hondas before so this is all new
By teal_dx
#86652 if you take off the passenger wheel, you can see the drain plug. Sorry I don't have a pic. I'd pick up a Helms or Chilton's manual for $15 if you plan on keeping the car for a while. It is full of info & pics. The qts should be in the owner's manual. I know 5 speeds take 1.9 qt, but not sure about autos. I would think they would be a little more.