General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By the hulk
#80599 I know some one has ask this before but, my tranny makes a funny sound when driving around, it sounds like there is something griding or something like that. when im ideling my tranny makes a squeaky sound but when i put in the clutch it stops. :? so what could be the problem?
By VegasCivic
#80601 Look through the tranny section for Mainshaft bearings. VERY common issue in our trannies.
By Classiccarsrule85
#80613 yep that be the problem happened to me awhile ago
By SOHCivegra
#80673 I'm going to go with either a throwout bearing or most commonly the input shaft bearing. It is an EG. Very common.
By the hulk
#80887 yeah my friends he said that it might be the throwout bearing.
so whats the best way to fix the problem?
By SOHCivegra
the hulk wrote:yeah my friends he said that it might be the throwout bearing.
so whats the best way to fix the problem?

well depending on which one it is. If in fact its just the throw out bearing, you need to pull the trans and get a new bearing and replace the bearing.

if its the input shaft, depending on your skill level you can either pull the trans in replace the corresponding bearings. you will not want to just replace the input. you will end up replacing both input shaft bearings, and counter shaft bearings as a precaution. don't half ass it. do it right and you will end up with a remotely good running trans. the full honest answer is to completely rebuild the trans.
By the hulk
#81012 will it be cheaper to try getting a new cluth kit and then if that does not solve the problem try to rebuilt the tranny?
By SOHCivegra
#81091 how many miles do you currently have on your clutch setup? if its a significantly low amount the you could just purchase the bearing.
if you have anything over 500 miles on the clutch and pressure plate then i would advise getting then whole kit yes.
Just don't your hopes 100% up, the input shaft bearing is extremely common on most d series transmissions.
By the hulk
#81218 So its cheaper to try a clutch kit frist and then if thats not the problem rebuilt the tranny. or buy a new one?
By SOHCivegra
#81287 Yes it is cheaper to purchase the kit first. Just make sure not to put an excessive amount of miles on the kit if it turns out that you do need to rebuild the trans. Then if you do end up building the trans you don't have to purchase another clutch kit.
By the hulk
#81345 Cool so I will try the clucth kit first an hope thats the problem. :thumb:
but how much will it cost me to rebuilt the tranny if need it? :?
By SOHCivegra
#81378 if your just doing bearings, its been a while since i've rebuilt my trans.
When I was in college I got the from a dealership right next to the college and i believe i paid somewhere around 25 or 30 for each bearing. that was factory honda part with a 10% student discount.
and if you include seals( i would) your looking at maybe just over $100. someone jump in anytime if my prices have changed.
the dealer i got them from was alan knott in lima ohio if that helps any.
personally i would reccommend factory honda parts rather than autozone/advance auto shelf special.
By SOHCivegra
#81379 ps and if you plan on completely rebuilding the trans your talking much more for syncors and such.
By Macster
#81464 dont wanna post jack but since its on the subject im not very knowledgeable on trannies so the input shaft bearing what sort of noise do they make when there going out cuz i got the same thing the hulk said it makes kinda angry noises and when i clutch it stops i just put a new throwout bearing in it so id assum its the rest of the bearings any input would be great.
By SOHCivegra
#81502 Its a spinning, grinding, scraping noise all in one. You would mainly notice it while the clutch pedal of up and or if you are driving. If its gets to the point where the noise is over taking your radio you should seriously consider rebuilding the trans very very soon.
This sound is very distinctive. If you have already replaced the throwout bearing then 9 times out of 10 you will need a rebuild.