General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By IRN-RU
#75461 Yup.

This has probably already been answered in previous threads so, sorry in advance.

When i'm in the high rev range i have to pretty much force it into 3rd and crunches like hell and sometimes up to 5th. and when i'm lazy it'll crunch going from 1st straight to 3rd (lazy i know).

what do i do to stop this? because i'm terrified that i'm gonna have no gearbox at this rate!
By teal_dx
#75471 a lot of work ahead of you... you can buy new synchro/gear sets for a few hundred and rebuild or buy another used tranny for less but then risk having the same problem again soon.
By sdots
teal_dx wrote:a lot of work ahead of you... you can buy new synchro/gear sets for a few hundred and rebuild or buy another used tranny for less but then risk having the same problem again soon.

x2 rebuild would be good. What engine and tranny are you running btw?
By IRN-RU
#75512 oh bollocks! I was dreading replies like those!

i'm running stock b16a2 w/ y21 i think. or whatever the standard box is.

how in-depth and tricky is it because i get impatient with things.lol
By IRN-RU
#75574 how do engine mounts make it crunch???
By IRN-RU
#75685 ohhh. good point.

well it's going to the garage soon so i'll see what they say. i think it will probably be a case of getting a 2nd hand gearbox but from an import so it stereotypically be in better condition that a uk box.
By sdots
#75692 wouldn't be the shift linkage as it pivots on the thing, could possibly be engine mounts but crunching doesn't usually cause this. it's a common issue with many honda boxes. I think teal_dx did a DIY to replace the parts and fix the issue
By VegasCivic
#75699 My DIY on motor mounts and shifter bushings
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4157
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4294

Change trans fluid. How does the slave look? Double clutch it if nothing else. take your time shifting =]

nvm...you have a b...........T_T forget the diy :lol:
By Ej2-B16a
#77396 thats your synchro's i grind into 3rd also.. i dont care, just take it easy and keep your tranny full of fluid. ONE day itl take a shit. but thats one day lol
By 94coupe
#81224 yeah i had the same problem then it started doing it at lower rpms until it crunched in then that was the last noise that tranny ever made. 1200 later new tranny clutch flywheel and a huge pain in the ass.