General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 92vx
#69999 so when i went to put it in reverse the clutch was complety in but it had a little grind so i stoped then tryed again and it went in fine...is anything going bad? :?
By OmarG
#70146 I have a similar problem. Sometimes it feels as if its all the way in reverse, and when I let off the cluch it sorta grinds a little bit until I snap it all the way in. It can usually be avoided if I slooowly let of the clutch while still firmly pushing the shift lever into reverse.

:?
By 92vx
#70163 the guy/gals on hondaforums said to put it in first then reverse and it shouldnt do it
By VegasCivic
#70390 Yep put it in first then reverse, works everytime for me :D . I think it has something to do with the way the gears sit. When not in motion they may put a load somewhere.
By 92vx
#70393 yea i guess the dont line up right at first
By King-K
#83308 Make sure you have good pressure on your slave,
It could also be your pressure plate.
By biretsu89
#83417 in a honda manual... it actually says you need to put your trans in a foward gear then put it in reverse :thumb:
By Sentry
#83430 Or just wait for the transmission to spin down before you go putting it in gear.

EDIT: You guys do know how a manual transmission works, mechanically, right?

When it's in neutral and the clutch is out the transmission is spinning with the motor. Reverse is an unsynchronized gear so when you disengage the clutch and go jamming it in reverse... Well that's just not too good. All putting it in first first does is the synchro rings for first spin down the transmission to how fast first is spinning, which is zero rpm if you're at a stop.

So when you want reverse, just wait a second or two after you disengage the clutch before you select reverse.

If you can't get it into reverse at first, putting it in first will move around the transmission's shafts and line up reverse. Same thing can be achieved by letting the clutch out in neutral briefly to spin it up.