General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By hatchin06
#67882 Ok guys help me out. i have the p20/A000 trans and it grinds when im at a high rev or even sometimes just normal driving. I changed the trans fluid a couple months ago but it did not seem to help. I noticed metal shavings in the bucket i drained it in. :thumbdown: I don't get stuck in any gears and its not so bad that I want to change out transmissions right now. What can i do to solve the problem or is replacing the transmission the only solution?
By Greasedmonkey
#67884 you can put new synchros in. that will get rid of the grinding.
By hatchin06
#67887 How hard is it to replace the synchro and is it expensive or am I better off buying a new transmission?
By yashep
hatchin06 wrote:How hard is it to replace the synchro and is it expensive or am I better off buying a new transmission?

On your 1st ?, I'll say it all depend on your skills with tools. If my memory serves me well, I think there's a how-to on the DIY section.

on how expensive, well it depend on what synchros your buying, if you buy the whole set it'll be a somewhat pricey.

About buyind another tranny, well you might buy a tranny that's working great for only a couple of miles and then it could start to grind gears and you'll waste your money.

As a temporary solution to your grinding you could put some pennzoil synchromesh to help stop the grinding. It usually works for some time.
By hatchin06
#67900 cool thanks bro
By Greasedmonkey
#67916 Depending on what tranny it is you have, it might just be better to find one with better gearing and buy that one. SOHC VTEC tranny from a EX/Si.
By hatchin06
#67969 thanks teal....about how much did it cost you to do?
By Got_Purp
hatchin06 wrote:thanks teal....about how much did it cost you to do?

When ever I replaced my syncros. they ran me about 175 from Honda.. but you could prolly find them cheaper... I like OE stuff myself...
By teal_dx
Got_Purp wrote:
hatchin06 wrote:thanks teal....about how much did it cost you to do?

When ever I replaced my syncros. they ran me about 175 from Honda.. but you could prolly find them cheaper... I like OE stuff myself...

yep, I paid just about the same with an employee discount. That includes the entire 3rd/4th gearset. (3rd gear, 3rd synchro + spring, 3/4 synchro hub, 3/4 synchro sleeve, 4th synchro + spring)
everything you need to fix the 3rd grind.
they don't sell just the synchros, hub, or sleeve though. gotta buy the 3rd gear with them in a set.