General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By teal_dx
#56867 The OBX LSD is a knockoff of the Quaife for about half the price. OBX isn't the best quality, you get what you pay for. The Quaife is more expensive because their price reflecs the R&D that went into their LSD. The OBX is a direct copy, so that is part of the reason it is so much cheaper- just like any knockoff. I read plenty of horror stories about earlier versions of this LSD... axles being stuck, shimming issues, opening up a brand new unit to find metal shavings inside. Some people even upgraded the bolts & washers to beefier ones. There were a version 1 and 2 of this LSD, I was lucky to receive the new version (no exterior markings) that has been dubbed v3.0 from other sites I have read.

Notice the difference in bolts in the 3 above pics. Some have a small symbol in the center. One of the bolts even had the hex slightly off centered. The "12.9" on the bolts is the grade.

There's the outside of the LSD. Notice the lack of stampings or engravings. No logo or part # or serial# on 3.0.

6mm hex bit beeded for the outer bolts.

You'll need to clamp the casing to loosen the bolts. I used some sanding blocks so I wouldn't gouge the surface. Loosen them evenly.

Once you loosened all the bolts evenly, remove the cover.
Notice that there is one blank bolt hole, this has to match the blank area on the housing when going back together.

Initial pics... I don't have any of the older versions to compare to, so I can't say if anything has changed or improved. So I took plenty of pics so someone who has seen them both can compare.

Here the top set of outer gears has been removed and set aside.

Next the center gear was removed to expose the washers that everyone talks about. There is still a smaller gear in the middle that is holding the washers in.

Here is that center gear, notice that the beveled inner edge faces the outside of the LSD, where the axle teeth will slide in.

And behind that gear is the smaller gear, with a recessed lip that faces the inside center of the LSD where the washers are. It holds them in place.

So here is the top layer of parts that have been removed so far.
See the middle, the big gear has the beveled inner edge facing up to the outside of the LSD. Then the smaller gear sits under it, with the side that accepts the washers, facing down (where the washers would be)

With everything above removed, here's what you're looking at:

Next pull out this thing, lets call it a retainer siince I don't know a better term and it keeps everything in place.

Now I'm pulling out the washers and the small gear on the bottom (similar to the small gear on the top) that holds the washers together.

Close up of that bottom small gear and the inner lip (faces up) that holds the washers in place. This edge will face up when going back together, holding the washers in the recessed area.

This edge will face down when going back together.

These are the washers. Note how they are stacked, this is very important.
top )()() bottom

Washers and bottom small gear layed out how they were removed from the unit.

Here's what you're looking at now.

The second outer gear set removed.

And the last gear, the other axle fits into this one.
Last edited by teal_dx on Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By teal_dx
#56952 Image

Now I'm looking at the case for any sharp edges or pieces of metal.

There's a bad one. If you can cut your finger open on it, it is bad.

I filed down the worst of it and then sanded it down to make it smooth. I used 320 Grit paper.

There was a decent size piece of metal barely hanging onto this area where the axle groove ends. (1st pic in this post)

Look at the lower right area of the gear. I don't like that.
By york62
#57006 haha so i guess they just machine them, assemble them and out the door. No de-burring or cleaning up of any sorts. Now i see why they are cheaper.
By teal_dx
#57081 Image
Now that everything is cleaned up, time for re-assembly.

Some people think all the gears need to go a certain way according to the size of the dimples on the ends. Some are larger than others but this is only from the manufacture process. It does not have any effect on the functionality of the LSD.

I'm going to add a tiny bit of oil as I re-assemble to keep everything lubed.

Then the Washer assembly

Be sure you get the washers centered as much as possible. You may put a dowel rod or skinny deep socket through the center to keep them aligned.

The 'Retainer'

Be sure the whole washer assembly & small gears are inside the retainer. So that you could pick up the retainer and everything inside of it like this.

Drop in the outer gears...

Then put the center gear on the top.

Then place the cover on so that the blank bolt hole is aligned on the case.

Get all of the bolts threaded in and torque them evenly to 28 ft lb lubed or 35 ft lb dry (from what I read on the internet)

Then keep it free of dirt if you're not going to install it right away.

So the OBX is great for people who don't have the $$$ to drop on the Quaife, and don't mind spending some time on the OBX.
By teal_dx
#57572 nope same as it was. I put one of the washers in a vise and squished it to see if it would keep its shape and it did. So I didn't bother getting aftermarket washers. maybe that's one of the things they improved on v 3.0 :?
By teal_dx
#57573 Here's something that makes me nervous...

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89867
some bad wobble on the 3.0 in the link :(

Hopefully mine isn't like that
By ohDirka
#57608 Great write up Brian :thumb: hopefully I'll be doing this very soon :D
By d-mon
#57616 very nice write up, excellent pics!
very good job.
By teal_dx
#64973 So I finally got around to installing it. Everything went smoothly and the tranny was back in the car & everything was back together. I filled the tranny with fluid and called it a night.
The next morning there was a puddle under the car from the right axle. I thought it was an axle seal (even though they were brand new) But I grabbed the inner CV joint and pulled on it and it moves in/out about 1/8 to 3/16"
The axle clip is seated because it was not pulling all the way out, only about 1/8 to 3/16". So I took it all back apart, had a hell of a time prying the axle out with a screwdriver (typical OBX trait from what I've read) and tried 3 different stock right axles - all with the same result of play!

I still had my stock diff and they fit perfect in there. So I got a strip of putty and made an imprint of the inside of where the axle goes into, with the grooves and the ridge where the clip settles into.

Problem found, The grooves on the inner edge of the OBD stop about 1/8" sooner on the inner side than the grooves on the stock diff.

So the axle clip is going in, but the OBX LSD has the grooves ending too soon and that allows the axle clip to lock in, but still slide back & forth about 1/8 to 3/16" :mad:

This is only happening on the passenger side, the driver side is fine. I have not heard of this particular problem anywhere else yet.

It was the latest version of the LSD, 3.0 they call it, with no stampings on the outer casing. I bought it from ERZ performance who no longer sells them.
Before I bother trying to get a refund/exchange (which I have read many failed attempts), what is a possible solution for this?

The only thing that comes to mind right now is to get an axle custom machined on a lathe a little bit so that the groove for the axle clip is 1/8" more toward the inner CV joint (away from inner tip of axle). Then load the new wider slot up with 3 or so axle clips (or one really wide clip?)
By teal_dx
#64979 looking back at the pics...

I put the LSD back together EXACTLY how it was assembeled when I got it.

Look at this:
this gear is not the same on both sides, one side has more of a beveled edge on the inside.
When I took it apart, the inside facing edge had a bevel on it. I'm wondering if this part being installed backward to begin with could be the cause of the problem. The more beveled edge being on the inside where the axle clip seats would cause exactly what I am experiencing. The only thing though is that there are gears like this on both sides of the LSD, and the driver side is also installed with the beveled edge on the inside and it is fine. :? I'm going to sleep on it for now... car is back on jackstands again for a while :x
By teal_dx
#118980 I was reading a post about OBX lsd on ohiohondas.com and it reminded me that I never posted the rest of this story...

I did put the unit back together correctly, if it was backwards as I first suspected, then the driver's side axle would have not fit correctly.

So I had about 1/8" to 3/16" of gap between my fresh axle seal and the surface of the axle it should be contacting.

I found 3 large dia. washers (actually took them out of old cv joints) and slightly modified them to fit over the end of the axle and slid them down as far as they would go. On the tranny, I installed another new axle seal but did not push it all the way in flush as I did the last one.

This closed the gap and there has not been any leaking since. In the end it cost be about a month of not driving the car. My only thought is someone at OBX of China put the wrong part into the passenger side, or machined a little too much off.

I have a couple thousand miles on the LSD now and everything is still going well, but I will not buy another OBX LSD or any product. Not worth the risk of opening the box and having something wrong before you even install it. :thumbdown: