General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By teal_dx
#246979 I got a PM about this, it turns out someone on here has the exact same issue with the passenger side axle not seating properly. So I dug up some quick pics I took when I was trying to solve this issue as quickly and cheaply as possible...

Here's the problem of the axle not seating properly... even though the clip is locked in, the axle still moves about 3/16"' in and out.
a quick vid I made back when I was trying to figure this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbn_TGhknQ

With the axle moving in/out, the axle housing moves too far from the axle seal in the transmission case, causing transmission fluid to leak out.

Here's a picture of the passenger side axle and a clay impression of the inside of where the axle shaft goes into the OBX LSD.
You can see the splines on the inside of the LSD are about 3/16" too short, which allows the axle to move in/out.

Here is a comparison of left (in hand in first pic) and right axles. Originally I thought that the left and right sides of the LSD could have been switched, but you can see that the left axle is even longer than the right side. So that was not the case.

So I never figured out exactly how this could have happened, obviously a wrong part was used in the LSD. So now I would need to take everything back apart and return the LSD or have a custom axle machined or find a spacer that could fill the extra space to keep the axle from sliding in and out.

So I began searching the garage for washers and found nothing... Then I looked at one of the spare axles I had torn apart trying to figure out a solution to why things were not fitting properly.

I took apart the inner CV joint

Then I pulled off the 3 bearings inside.

I cleaned off the bearing, removed the snap ring and then took this washer from it.

Here you can see they fit the axle perfectly!

Then I installed another new axle seal but this time I did not press it in too far, just enough to go in and stay, but out far enough to stay close to the axle which is now pushed slightly further out due to the spacers.

I installed the axle, filled the tranny with fluid and let it sit overnight hoping not to see another puddle under the car the next day.

Well there was no puddle and there has not been any more leaking since I did this 2.5 yrs ago!

After all of this headache, I will not be buying another product from OBX.
By TypeR_FN2_Alex
#246980 On the picture i can see you only take 2 washers for the axle to make a spacer from it.
Or only just 1 washer????
By teal_dx
#246987 I used a total of 2 or 3... it's been a while and I can't remember the exact amount. I kept adding one more washer until the axle no longer had excessive movement.
By FrAnKeNsTeIn
#250299 Wow teal, every post I’ve run across of yours is intense!

That’s some great pictures, and good break down of that LSD.
Makes me think twice about buying the OBX.

Too bad you’re in Ohio, you sound like a ton of fun to wrench with.