General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By teal_dx
#51212 :x
I'm taking my tranny apart and I'm stuck! I'm talking about the snap ring inside the fill hole that holds the bearing in place.
The manual says to use snap ring pliers and pull it off the bearing. But you can't just expand the snap ring and pull it up out of the groove on the bearing. The case is cut away for the snap ring but the cut is not large enough to give any play to move the snap ring up or down.

there is room for it to expand out, but not move up or down.

I wonder if my snap ring pliers are not the right type? They work great on the snap rings that have the tiny hole on each side.. These pliers have little pins on the tips that grab those holes. This snap ring doesn't have those holes on each side.

This is after a good 30 mins of trying to get it off. I used 2 screwdrivers to get this far. I'm guessing I got the snap ring out of the ridge on the other side of the bearing and that's why it is not snapping back into it's original place. In one side the curved part is all the way against the casing, it is close but not quite touching on the other side. What am I supposed to do to get this thing off?? :?
By chrono404
#51215 Nice Pics :thumb:

What I did was have one person with 2 screw drivers pry those apart and someone lifting under the lid on the pry points with pry bars/large screw drivers.

Doing it with 1 person will be hard. Thankfully I had my dad to help me work on it.

That popped the case off for me several times.
By teal_dx
#51216 I figured you would be the first to respond mr. DIY tranny guru :)

what do you mean by lifting under the lid?

That snap ring is holding the shaft in place, which is preventing the tranny cast & clutch housing from coming apart, correct? (already tool the 13 bolts out)

So when I finally spread that ring far enough apart, will the whole shaft & bearing fall down from its own weight, or will I need a second person to tap it with something to get it to move down?
By SOHCivegra
#51217 yes, having two people is a bit easier.
yes he does mean spread them apart and basically jiggle the case loose. if its never been apart it should take a jiggle or two. then the two will pop apart
By chrono404
#51221 ImageImageImage

When one person is separating(holding it open) the pin, the second person prys on these spots popping the case loose.
By SOHCivegra
#51222 100%. built plenty of s20's in college for our autocross hatch. yes the snap ring is the hardest. until you come to replacing the syncors and gears. and event then all you need is a press..
By SOHCivegra
#51224 thanks chrono. couldnt find the pics fast enough
By chrono404
SOHCivegra wrote:thanks chrono. couldnt find the pics fast enough

Lol, I knew where to look as I made them :lol:

Good luck on separating the half's teal.